fork seals

bondy

hi guys im thinking off having my fork sliders powder coated in blue id like to know is im allso putting new seals in would i be beter fiting them before i have then painted or do them affter the paint job?

Definately afterwards as powder coating generally involves a good surface preperation. This would jeopardize the seal if it is often shotblast. The powder coating itself involves heat as you have to melt the plastic onto the metal and again this may damage the seal. Make sure they know not to powder coat inside the slider too.

Definately afterwards as powder coating generally involves a good surface preperation. This would jeopardize the seal if it is often shotblast. The powder coating itself involves heat as you have to melt the plastic onto the metal and again this may damage the seal. Make sure they know not to powder coat inside the slider too.

im i beter pluging the screw holes?

A good powder coating company should do that for you. they put little rubber grommets in the screw holes and mask up the other threads. Its worth having a good chat with them which holes you want left and which ones you want covered. If the sliders are alloy, have you considered having them aqua bead blasted instead ? When i restored at ty yammy I used this process on all the alloy parts. came up lovely. Hope this helps.

A good powder coating company should do that for you. they put little rubber grommets in the screw holes and mask up the other threads. Its worth having a good chat with them which holes you want left and which ones you want covered. If the sliders are alloy, have you considered having them aqua bead blasted instead ? When i restored at ty yammy I used this process on all the alloy parts. came up lovely. Hope this helps.

hi again do you mean have them aqua blasted instead of powder coating? oh they or alloy what dose this do to them? ive just finished one bultaco restor have one or to small issues with that one. but the one im doing now is part restoring the bike was runing fine when i stript it ive had the barrol. and head sand blasted. and ive sprayd them just had the barrol heli coiled new leavers .and grips new kill button. and new front spoket.and chain. new cabels all round in blue. as my other bult is all blue thought id have a change with this one so i got new white mudgards with blue fram. oh and new tank. and seat as you can see ive gone crazy :thumbup:

Paint stripper works also very nice and keep the stamped logos at the alloy fork sliders.

If you still want blasting the fork sliders:

To protect the threads where you bleed the forks, here you can take old bolts that you afterwards can unscrew.

To the oil seals you can leave the old oil seals inside for protecting.

The bore for the front axle I would protect wich some flat wachers and a bolt + nut.

For the paint job there was already information given by the former posters.

New oil seals is a good idea, as already stated put them in after the paint job.

hi again do you mean have them aqua blasted instead of powder coating? oh they or alloy what dose this do to them? ive just finished one bultaco restor have one or to small issues with that one. but the one im doing now is part restoring the bike was runing fine when i stript it ive had the barrol. and head sand blasted. and ive sprayd them just had the barrol heli coiled new leavers .and grips new kill button. and new front spoket.and chain. new cabels all round in blue. as my other bult is all blue thought id have a change with this one so i got new white mudgards with blue fram. oh and new tank. and seat as you can see ive gone crazy :thumbup:

Aqua blasting or bead blasting is a finish in itself. You wouldn't need to apply a coating afterwards. Alloy is really soft and if you shotblast it you will damage it. Bead /aqua blasting is more of a surface cleaner and brings up its appearance nicely.