van insurance

coxy

hi guys,

im looking at buying a van after christmas but only for trialing and maybe sometimes to go to work if the weathers bad. ive heard a few people say that you need to be careful when insuring the vans as the insurance companies dont like it when you say that your going to be carrying a bike in the back at weekends and bump up the premiums. has anybody had any past experiences of this and what is the best thing to do about it?

ive been looking at getting a vauxhall vivaro and any comments on these would also be greatly appreciated of things to watch out for etc etc.

Cheers

Coxy

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

hi guys,

im looking at buying a van after christmas but only for trialing and maybe sometimes to go to work if the weathers bad. ive heard a few people say that you need to be careful when insuring the vans as the insurance companies dont like it when you say that your going to be carrying a bike in the back at weekends and bump up the premiums. has anybody had any past experiences of this and what is the best thing to do about it?

ive been looking at getting a vauxhall vivaro and any comments on these would also be greatly appreciated of things to watch out for etc etc.

Cheers

Coxy

I bought a Renault Trafic (which is almost exactly the same as a Vivaro) the thing that gave me trouble was telling the insurance company that it was modified. As soon as I told them there was an extra row of seats in the back (for the kids), most companies weren't interested.

If you are buying a standard van then you won't have that problem, but it almost stopped me buying one.

Aviva came up trumps in the end. :thumbup:

I've used commercial vehicle direct for 8 years now,had a claim or two, never had a problem. Ihad two nissan primastars , not everybodys cup of tea but i had no problems swb and lwb.Got a ducato now, happy enough with it, more of a "van" than primastar/traffic/vivaro, not as nice to drive. gearboxes are supposed to be suspect after 60000 on p/t/v, never had a problem both did over 90,000 no prob .A joiner in Thorne bought the lwb and going to lincoln every day still going well.

• 2 weeks later...

Im with HIC and have a transporter with seats/rock and roll bed in. I told them and they just asked if it had seatblts and that was it! Ive only ever been asked what i was using my van for once and I said I use it to carry personal stuff and my dogs! What you carry should make no difference!