I just need something!

copemech

I like the little Serow, but it is a bit nill for moving about at highway speed. I seem to want something I can really go somewhere on in reasonable comfort and a decent clip of 60 or better in cruise. Yet still give some flexability of getting off the beaten path to do some trails and such.

Seems there are others such as the V-Strom and even the expensive KTM 990 or some new expensive Beemer. The Honda 450 is just not a road bike, so what does one doo?

The more I look, the better I like the overall concept of this bike, although still big and heavy, which does have it's virtues on the road, there seems nothing like it out there for the money.

post-36-0-72511000-1322199753.jpg

I love my BMW GS for trail riding.... per has you could look at a secondhand 650GS?

Ralphy, I am sure they are good bikes, but to be honest(I am a sort of fundamentalist)I find no favor in German design and engineering, no mind the initial cost, the cost of parts and maintenance.

If I was out that sort of dosh, I would come closer to a Triumph Tiger! Yet both just too pricy for a beater bike of utility that I seldome ride anyway!

I like SIMPLE, or as simple as one can keep it! Add reliable and cheap to maintain. Think I have spent $100 on the Serow in the last three years for a battery and a petcock seal. A;though it does numerous short trips round the neighborhood, and a couple bigger outings, seems I have put 500 miles onit in the three years, so not worth a big investment. Yet I still would like to expand the range! Serow sucks on the highway!

I hate riding bikes in traffic on a daily commute! I hate them when it is too cold, I hate them when it is too hot! After a number of years in my youth when that was the only way, and enough near death experiences along with it, I simply try to enjoy a few outings a year in pristine weather when possible and take to the backroads out of town. :thumbup:

Those KLR 650 motors are fantastically long lived. You can expect 50,000km before it will need rings and a cam chain. If they stil have the CV carby, the fuel economy will be good too.

The only downside I know of is that the suspension is 1980s trailbike technology so while it will be smooth riding don't expect it to be up with the latest bikes on broken ground. The hot ticket I remember for improving the front end for off-road stuff is to fit a TT600 front end (clamps, forks and wheel)

I was going to suggest a XT / TT 600, decent suspension, and quite good off road if you move the footrests back.

Still quite a long way down to earth though.

All sorts of weird & wonderful parts available from Touratech.

Edited by B40RT

Ralphy, I am sure they are good bikes, but to be honest(I am a sort of fundamentalist)I find no favor in German design and engineering, no mind the initial cost, the cost of parts and maintenance.

Yeah fair comment.

My LBS does not supply repair or service parts, I get them from Hong Kong which is just plain stupid - but $160 v $50 for a brake switch is hard to swallow....and I can't understand how some guys will drop $1000 into a service!!!!

My mate has spent $2500 on services in 3 years and I've done it all myself and spent $200(ish). He wants me to help him now. :thumbup:

Yeah fair comment.

My LBS does not supply repair or service parts, I get them from Hong Kong which is just plain stupid - but $160 v $50 for a brake switch is hard to swallow....and I can't understand how some guys will drop $1000 into a service!!!!

My mate has spent $2500 on services in 3 years and I've done it all myself and spent $200(ish). He wants me to help him now. :thumbup:

Ouch! Let me know if I can sourse you anything for less Ralphy!

I found a local '08 KLR with 3500mi for under $4K, seems the going going price. Some dealer has an "11 for $5.2K, but I bet they screw you with all the add ons like shipping, prep and paperwork in the end. I may call, but?

It turned bloody cold again today as I looked at the little serow in the shed before errands on my day off, screw that, it will sit for another week! My hands still ache from frostbite when I was young! :thumbup:

I have never ridden one, and I have always though the KLR looked like a heavy beast , however about every body I know ,including my Son & brother , say they are a REALLY good bike, likely the best, for a dual sport. My brother who pretty much has his pick of bikes , rides one to work most of the time.

Yeah fair comment.

I was chatting with a fellow last week that works at the Mercedes place next door to me. He said they charge roughly $350 for an oil change service. But you get new wiper blades and a courtesy car for the day! Whoopie S--t! :banana2:

I was chatting with a fellow last week that works at the Mercedes place next door to me. He said they charge roughly $350 for an oil change service. But you get new wiper blades and a courtesy car for the day! Whoopie S--t! :banana2:

I know mate.... the Toyota shop wanted $240 to change the oil and look at the tyre pressure (or something lame) in my hilux truck. I just can't figure why a lot more folk don't change oil and save $100's

Edited by NZRalphy