Cub wheels

gautrek

I have a pair of Cub wheels fitted into my Panther trials bike.Amazingly the front wheel is the same sizes brake as was originally fitted back in the 30's.After spending a few hours stripping the wheels down to dry the drums and brakes after our very wet and swampy trial last weekend I noticed the front wheel bearings are a bit sloppy one side.

can any one supply the bearing sizes so I can purchase some ready to fit after our next swampy trial.

Cheers

I have a pair of Cub wheels fitted into my Panther trials bike.Amazingly the front wheel is the same sizes brake as was originally fitted back in the 30's.After spending a few hours stripping the wheels down to dry the drums and brakes after our very wet and swampy trial last weekend I noticed the front wheel bearings are a bit sloppy one side.

can any one supply the bearing sizes so I can purchase some ready to fit after our next swampy trial.

Cheers

It come as no surprise to those of us with worn out bootsoles to hear that there was no attempt at improvement in braking between the Thirties and Fifties. :D

Hi - If you take one of the bearings out it should have a number on side of the outer race. If you go to a site such as

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php

enter the number in the search facility and a selection of bearings should come up. This company supplies good bearings so an 'economy' bearing will be good enough, or you can order a quality bearing such as SKF at an incrased price. They supply metric and imperial sizes.

If no number is present there is a facility for entering bore, diameter and width and this also will give you a choice of bearing. If you are still stuck ring them or email them as they are very helpful.

I would recommend a sealed bearing for your wheel which can be identified by looking for the letters 2RS after the identifying four digit number. If you need to know a little more about bearings read the FAQ page (product info).

Hope this helps.

Tim

Hi - If you take one of the bearings out it should have a number on side of the outer race. If you go to a site such as

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php

enter the number in the search facility and a selection of bearings should come up. This company supplies good bearings so an 'economy' bearing will be good enough, or you can order a quality bearing such as SKF at an incrased price. They supply metric and imperial sizes.

If no number is present there is a facility for entering bore, diameter and width and this also will give you a choice of bearing. If you are still stuck ring them or email them as they are very helpful.

I would recommend a sealed bearing for your wheel which can be identified by looking for the letters 2RS after the identifying four digit number. If you need to know a little more about bearings read the FAQ page (product info).

Hope this helps.

Tim

Hi mate.

I was hoping that I could size them before taking them out.But I think they are standard size bearings.I can't see the number with them installed.So if anyone knows it would be a great help.I do plan to leave them in for now.But I do like getting the bits ready for when I do it.

I have enough to do with installing my remade gear selector as the old one is starting to crack with old age.Plus I need to remake the rear guard and chain guards as I have moved the wheel down about 2 1/2" with a couple of plates which I made at work welded into the rear frame rails.

It come as no surprise to those of us with worn out bootsoles to hear that there was no attempt at improvement in braking between the Thirties and Fifties. :D

Well actually that is slightly wrong.As the original rear brake on my Panther was a "massive" 6" unit.This was due to it originally being a hand change bike.So they figured that one would be slightly busy trying to slow down and change gear with your right hand so a good rear brake was needed.

i'd use a micrometer to suss out the sizes if still in situ. as advised above the economy bearings are more than satisfactory. the only difference other than price if you check the spec sheets is how fast they will spin for and as trials bikes rarely reach 15k revs per minute economy will do definatley go for the rubber sealed units.. check out my blog below for online factors ..

Just rebuild a set of Cub hubs. So have it fairly fresh in mind, but to avoid posting anything wrong had a look in the "Triumph Tiger Cub Bible" as well and apparently that books contains all the wisdom! If only I used it instead of dragging rusty greasy worn bearings around.

Front:

-Left side: type 6202 - 15mm ID x 35mm OD x 11 mm wide

-Right side: type 6203 - 17mm ID x 40mm OD x 12 mm wide

Rear:

Both the same size: type 6203 - 17mm ID x 40mm OD x 12 mm wide.

I went for the sealed ones and since I only plan on using the bike for trials (No greenlaning, so speeds will stay low), I went for budget series, but Stainless steel sealed bearings. Think is going to pay of when using the bike for wading and muddy trials.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Just rebuild a set of Cub hubs. So have it fairly fresh in mind, but to avoid posting anything wrong had a look in the "Triumph Tiger Cub Bible" as well and apparently that books contains all the wisdom! If only I used it instead of dragging rusty greasy worn bearings around.

Front:

-Left side: type 6202 - 15mm ID x 35mm OD x 11 mm wide

-Right side: type 6203 - 17mm ID x 40mm OD x 12 mm wide

Rear:

Both the same size: type 6203 - 17mm ID x 40mm OD x 12 mm wide.

I went for the sealed ones and since I only plan on using the bike for trials (No greenlaning, so speeds will stay low), I went for budget series, but Stainless steel sealed bearings. Think is going to pay of when using the bike for wading and muddy trials.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Cheers for that mate.

Here is the latest shot of my Panther.

panth.jpg

I have fitted a tank of a BSA 250 single,I had to make some ally mounts up and velcro some rubber strips across the top to mount it as the standard mounts were to low,I have spaced the front spring out and made up longer forks links to raise the front,fitted plates at the bottom of the forks,welded some plates at the rear to raise the back,made and fitted a new posh gear lever,had a mate at work wire cut some splines into a Jap kickstart to allow it to fit straight on(he has done this for numerous people now and both his AJS bikes are fitted with the same levers). The bike is getting better its just the rider letting it down now.But I now have about 9 1/2" clearance and about a 50" wheel base.

I intend to lower the rear mudguard and make a new chain guard next and sort out a new rear brake lever and operating mechanism.As I need to fit a cable as the rod is not brilliant.