What Colour Should It Be?

colinf

Hi, i'm new to the forum and as of last sunday the proud owner of several boxes containing most of a 1977 Sherpa t350 ( 191 ).The first question is what colour should it be? The Tank is red and the frame is silver but the fork legs and airbox are blue.The bloke i got it from had bought a pair of sherpas with his mate from the same man and had one each.Mine has matching numbers but i know the engines were in the wrong frames when they got them so its quite likely the other bits were mixed up too. The frame number is JB-19100600.Any help would be appreciated.

you need the bultaco book which has some great colour photos in it and details.

This might help a bit http://motos.coches....?idNoticia=2646

Good hint, the book "Historia de la SherpaT" from Francois Stauffacher has some good color picture from nearly any Sherpa made by Bultaco, ISBN: 84-607-3101-4.

The red color that matches very good is Ford Sunburst red XSC1493A.

Google pic's "Bultaco Sherpa 191" or "Bultaco Sherpa 190" and you find some pictures oo, btw. the 190191 had alloy fenders when the came out of the factory.

The 191 is a 1978/9 model, not '77. Red tank, mudguards, sidepanels, silver frame, black engine, forks, hubs, polished brake plates and yokes.

They were nearing the end so almost everything was being painted now, not polished alloy = cheaper? I'm sure they had red mudguards from new, alloy were on the previous models '76 and '77.

Some pictures here

http://www.ataq.qc.ca/galerie/index.php?folder=/Mus%E9e/Bultaco/&page=1

The 191 is a 1978/9 model, not '77. Red tank, mudguards, sidepanels, silver frame, black engine, forks, hubs, polished brake plates and yokes.

They were nearing the end so almost everything was being painted now, not polished alloy = cheaper? I'm sure they had red mudguards from new, alloy were on the previous models '76 and '77.

Some pictures here

http://www.ataq.qc.c...Bultaco/&page=1

The OT stated the frame number begins with 191, so its a model 191 made between 09/1976 to 02/1977, (1451 bikes where made of this model). Changes to the previous model where principally in the crankshaft. These bikes where in standard outfit fitted with alloy fenders.

The later 199 build from 05/1977 to 09/1978 where red and had plastic fenders, these had too black fork bottles and colored engine instead of polished alloy for the previous 191. The 199 got a new tank first made of fibreglas later in plastic, (where the design of decals to the early fibreglas tank was the same as for the 191), a new seat design, new airbox, new sidepanels and chain cover. The foot lever for the brake changed their position too. There where some national differences between the exported models, (the bikes that where delivered to other nations where fitted with different components), back then - in the mid to late 70's - Sherpas delivered to the UK where still fitted with the metal gas tank and also with a chain cover to the front sprocket too, to name some specials for the UK bikes.

Edited by PSchrauber

Thanks for the advice everyone.Expect plenty more questions in the course of the rebuild. It will need a barrel and head so if anyone has one or knows someone who might please let me know ( have asked BultacoUK but they dont think they've got any ) ........Kettle on and a day in the shed then!