Towbar For Focus

rallymadsam

Hi, I also have a Mk1 Focus, 2004 model, I don't know about detachable hooks, but I fitted my own standard one in about an hour not including the electrics (another ball of snot). They are easy to fit to these cars because the chassis is pre-drilled. The electrics aren't too bad, don't use scotchlocks though, no special electronics to worry about, go on do it yourself. the wiring you need to tap into is on the left side of the boot.

You don't have a location but in Yorkshire I can reccomend ECCO in Shelf between Bradford and Halifax. I had a Detachable Witter "flange" fitted for my Dave Cooper rack. £345 fitted to a Chevrolet Cruze. I should think the Focus would be cheaper as it's a more common model.

The towbars for the older focus model seems to be generally more expensive than the newer ones for some reason?!

The towbar will only be used to tow this single bike trailer as I don't have a trailer license, therefore only upto 750kg allowed. I don't see how a cheap towbar can be that much worse than a really expensive one as a lump of metal, hardly much to go wrong besides it fiitting properly is there?

Edited by rallymadsam

They have to meet MOT standards these days so you don't want to have to re-do it if it fails. Witter ones seem to be about £50-£100 cheaper for a Fixed one on a MK1 Focus than mine so you should be down Under £200 for a basic one. You only need a single electric one so that cuts costs. Remember if it fails you have the bike and trailer as well as anything it hits to worry about replacing. That could be a lot of money just to save a little. They are also guaranteed for life because of that.