199B

bambam_n_chunx

Finally managed to get hold of one at last its in bits (engines ok) but the frames had all the braze on fittings ground off it. If anyone would like to measure me the length of the chain tensioner bracket from hole to swingarm and also the distance up from the swingarm pivot to the rear cable stop I would be pretty gratefull. I`ve already fitted a montesa type head steady as I`ve seen a few with this mod and the ht coil had been moved further back down the frame, but I cant think why.

Its also had some work done to the rear shock mounts as they`ve been rewelded on above the rear spindle to make the shocks lay over. I was going to put them back to standard but think i`ll give it a try as is.

Anyways when its finished should be a good replacement for my fantic which doesnt have the grunt to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I hope you're not in for a shock as the 240 Fantic will do everything and more a 199b will do...

Was that the one off ebay last weekend that was up your way? WIith the disc back wheel fitted?

Can't help with measurements as I won't get to my bike until the weekend now but if you look at the picture below you can work out the position of the rear brake cable mount. The one on the swingarm for the other end sits just inside the frame tubes alongside the chain swingarm protector.

I'd put the shocks back to standard as with a decent set fitted the back end works very well, no real need for that kimd of mod.

For the chain tensioner, just put the bike in gear and sit it upright with the bars resting against the wall to expose the underside - makes it easy to position a chain tensioner bracket. Make the bracket, fit it to the tensioner, position the tensioner into the chain and offer it up to the swingarm and tack weld in place to try it. The spring locates up the front of the swingarm so that will govern the front/rear positioning of the bracket.

post-71-0-70924700-1334613222.jpg

Woody -

(Hope I'm not hijacking here) - but you always seem to offer excellent advice; does

the 199b usually have holes in the swinging arm forward of the r. shock mounting, as in the the pic

you posted and many others I've seen - were these for pillion footrests ? (Spanish requirement, maybe?)

I'm curious as my bike has a square arm without holes - and they've not been filled in, either .........

Thanks Lorenzo - I try to help but will gladly accept if I'm wrong, which also means I'll learn something.

As far as I know, the swingarm is unique to the B models, it's not from a trail model. I think the holes were for footrests but can't remember the reason why it was done, but again, as far as I know, they all had them. Sounds as though yours may have a custom built swingarm.

Thanks, Woody -

A guy at Comerfords told me shortly after I bought it that it was originally one of their own bikes so maybe the swing arm is a Reg May special ? Or not - doesn't seem to have anything else "different" about it..............

Thanks Woody

It is the bike from up our way, Apparently he wanted it moving quickly as the tealeaves had found it. The disc wheel needs to go but i`m struggling to find a wheel. Its the second bultaco i`ve had without a back wheel since I had one stolen a few years ago, they must be thin on the ground.

Lorenzo I had a reg may bult 198b a few years ago and the swingarm mount hole had been cut out and raised about an inch so it was in line with the sprocket, you had to look closely but could make out the weld.

The 240 does go well I just find it hard to find grip when its revving and if I change the gearing it wont pull second, bit of a sickener really as i`ve spent a fortune on it with a 245 reed valve motor etc. I`ve just stripped a 303 down so will give that motor a try and see if its any better.

Thanks, Woody -

A guy at Comerfords told me shortly after I bought it that it was originally one of their own bikes so maybe the swing arm is a Reg May special ? Or not - doesn't seem to have anything else "different" about it..............

Give Dave Renham a call with the frame number and he should be able to tell you if it was a Commerfords bike

Reg did a few over the years and they weren't all the same

Thanks Woody

It is the bike from up our way, Apparently he wanted it moving quickly as the tealeaves had found it. The disc wheel needs to go but i`m struggling to find a wheel. Its the second bultaco i`ve had without a back wheel since I had one stolen a few years ago, they must be thin on the ground.

Lorenzo I had a reg may bult 198b a few years ago and the swingarm mount hole had been cut out and raised about an inch so it was in line with the sprocket, you had to look closely but could make out the weld.

The 240 does go well I just find it hard to find grip when its revving and if I change the gearing it wont pull second, bit of a sickener really as i`ve spent a fortune on it with a 245 reed valve motor etc. I`ve just stripped a 303 down so will give that motor a try and see if its any better.

Guessed it was that bike. I got in touch with him as soon as it came on as I was coming up for the Normandale on Easter Monday and would have bought it - I got beaten to it by someone....

Try John Collins for a back wheel as he has loads of used Bultaco parts - JC Motorcycles, Port Talbot. I'm assuming you've tried Dave Renham. It's the same wheel for 1976 onwards models so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. You may have to take pot luck with the condition of the chrome liner though...

Unfortunately, there seems to be loads of advice about what you have to do to a 240 Fantic to make it competitive for 'today's modern classic sections'. The standard bike is perfectly good enough in reality and ian't tested anything like it was back in '82 - '84. The early models were buzzy and sharper off the throttle than the later ones. The standard 240 will pull 4th from nothing so there must be something wrong with your 245 motor if it is struggling as you say. Raising the gearing shouldn't make any difference to 2nd when it should pull 4th.

Good luck with the Bulto project, another one saved from the barn.

paulmac - Sorry, can't post a picture of the bike as it's currently in bits. I suppose I could post a pic of the swinging arm, though ( if I could find it!)

Woody - Bike is registered, and the V5 shows 2 former keepers: the first was Comerfords, to whom it was registered 1st. Aug. 1981 ; they sold it just 9 months later to its second owner - the guy who sold it to me several years later.

I imagine Comerfords would have removed any special or one-off bits (if indeed it ever had any) before disposing of the bike back in '82.

Edited by Lorenzo

Just made some measurments for some other parts I want to build, (speedomount on the left engine side). As I was at the right bike side I did take some pic's and some measurments.

Pics:

DSC09352.JPG

DSC09354.JPG

DSC09357.JPG

The mount for the chain tensioner sits very close to the rear engine mount.

Here the rear brake cable stop:

DSC09359.JPG

Here the measurements in mm:

Abmessungen%2520Kettenspannerhalter%2520zur%2520Schwinge.jpg

No problem I was fiddeling for the bike anyway. Just to note, the bike was sitting on a bike stand and I had 360mm long rear shocks

mounted, therefor the distance between rear engine bracket and chain tensioner mount, (or the screw holding the chain tensioner), is very short. There is now only 2-3mm between them when the shocks are completly rebounded. When the standard shocks are mounted the gap is around 5 - 7mm. If you which more clearance here you might mount the bracket for the chain tensioner some mm more backwards.