Pressure Washing Bike At A Club Trial.

pete_scorpa3

Our club has recently been given permission to use a brand new venue to stage a trial. New venue, new sections. That doesn't happen very oftenthese days.

What's more, it has a club house and a large carpark and the course can be a mile or more round each lap.

We needed to impress the owner. We would like to go there again.

With this in mind, I held a briefing in the club house prior to any bikes being ridden. I explained that we needed to be on our best behaviour etc.

It poured down. Three of the sections deteriorated a little and became very muddy, but overall things went very well. Until, that is I returned to the carpark to find a rider pressure washing his bike.

This rider is a nice fella, he's ridden with us for years, I didn't want to have confrontation (I do that for a job, weekends are for relaxing not working) but I felt forced to deal with the problem.

I approached the chap, (he may be reading this I don't know) and expalained that he shouldn't be doing this and that it would look bad to the land owner. Job done.

A few minutes later I looked over and he'd started again. Perhaps he hadn't understood my conversation. So I went back and spoke again. Making sure I was very clear.

Remember, this is not in a feild, it's a permanent working tarmac car park.

He did stop and to his credit then made a good job of cleaning up the mud and grass.

The ACU Environmental code page 104 para 7 is clear on pressure washing.

I'm just struggling to get my head around the idea that a rider was prepared to jeapodise the whole future of the venue for the sake of taking his bike home clean.

No harm done, but thinking back I do wonder if I should have been harder on him?

Pete

You cant do no more than what you have but maybe in future a sign when signing in stating the fact.

IMO bikes should be washed where there is facilities for waste water to drain safely.

Yet another example of "the good old boys" who yes turn up week in week out, but, take the pi$$ with the rules knowing full well that there will be no punishment because who wants to turn people away. It does need someone to be banned for everyone else too sit up and take notice

You did the right thing, in those circumstances you can only hope that people will understand when its explained to them.At the beginning of our trials I give a little talk,welcoming the riders and explaining any particular things they need to look out for on the day.I know damn well most of them dont listen,but you have to try...

If riders realised how hard it is to get land then keep it they might think a little more about what they are doing.Maybe Lee Harris could chime in and explain how trials works in Germany ?

• Like 3