How To Check The Frame?

bultoboy

Hi gents,

I have zero engineering skills and was wondering how the hell do you check that the frame does not have a twist in it? I have no idea how to build a jig or what i should be looking for.

If any of you know off a simple way of checking this please enlighten as it will save me a few quid by not sending the frame away.

Many thanks

james

You take the bits off that stop you seeing the frame and wheels, like the tank, seat, exhaust, mudguards, airbox and leave the wheels in place, then sight from the front and rear from all heights. Common frame bends with Sherpa ts are:

Front end of frame pushed to one side or twisted at an angle to vertical or both

Swingarm twisted (one side higher than the other)

Swingarm arms pushed to one side (symptom will be rear wheel not in middle of bike)

Front and/or top frame tubes curved (from frontal impact)

Tubes under motor curved from banging on things

as feet up said, if you get it stripped down wheel missalignment will be pretty obvious. back in the day when i ran a 325, it was twiasted sideways at the headstock. gentle heat and a bar lined it all up easy as....i then welded in some extra gussets to stop it happening again. Just make shure the back wheel is set right for the sprocket lining up with the motor sprocket before you take the motor out, else the chain run could be anywhere.