Electroinc Mag?

rusty ken

Hi Folks,

Contary to the tone of other threads on this forum, I've started to put together a heavy weight Matchless 350, and am considering where the sparks should come from. It's currently running a total loss system using points and a coil, which is fine for running around a field but not much use for a trial.

I intend to re-fit a magneto and having looked on line have seen the new BTH electornic mags.

Does anyone have experiecce of these? Are they worth fitting? Is there a better alternative, or better value for money option? And if this is the best option, should I go for the fixed ignition or digital advance version?

I'd apreciate your thoughts and experience.

Thanks

Ken

Why do you say contary to other threads on the forum ? I cant help with actual experience of the BTH electronic mags, but it seems most people I have asked get on well with them.A couple of people I have asked have had problems with them,but I think if the truth were known they have been pressure washed.Back when I was having spark problems with my HT5 the chap that owned the BTH outfit wouldnt sell me a unit because he was fed up with off road users pressure washing them and complaining when they wouldnt work.... (Seems they have recently changed hands and now are happy to sell to the muddy crowd)

I then had the original Lucas racing mag rebuilt by Paul at APL Magneto's in Shaftesbury - been fine ever since.The rigid AJS I bought earlier this year has the same mag on it,the chap I bought it off had been using it for a long while,its still working well.So,if you have an original in good order I cant see a problem.My only reliability suggestions would be to make very sure its well waterproofed,(The advance / retard cable is good at fillling them with water...) and keep the points cleaned.Oh yes,I leave the points cap off the mag while its in the workshop waiting for the next trial,just to make sure its as dry in there as possible.

It seems to me that many running / starting problems with old bikes stem from worn or badly adjusted carbs fouling the plugs rather than the poor mag that usually gets the blame.

• 3 weeks later...