1983 National And Other Austin Photos

texassherco

I am looking for anyone who has photos of the 1983 National, Round 1 hosted by the CTTA in Austin, TX. Loop maps and other event memorabilia are also acceptable.

In addition, if any rider has TX State Series photos from City Park, those also would be helpful.

The CTTA is in jeopardy of loosing its riding areas at City Park/Emma Long Park in Austin. We are trying to document our history there through the 90s. Please PM me if you have something.

Thanks,

Laura

Steve :

Did you ride a fantic back then ? 'cause I'm still trying to find out the origins of my 240 ... It is decidedly different from the other ones I've got .... IE. no switch brackets or fork lock was ever welded to the frame , and it has extra tubes added to support the steering neck , behind the sheetmetal braces ... And is ported quite differently too from my other 240 barrels , and the fork angle is a bit steeper than stock ..............And I must add that with the flatslide carb on her , she is a thrill to use ... And I've got a bill of sale and all the other papers from Cherokee cycle center selling a used competition motorcycle for $2250.00 cash to a Steif J. Counts in lancaster , CA. And I want to know if it was Lampkins or Michuads bike that was left behind ? "cause it sure ain't quite stock and the frame changes were there from the first build as far as I can tell , And you should've seen the look on Ryan Youngs face when he got off her a couple years ago :) :) AKA he took off for a 5 min ride and came back about 25 min's later with a big 'ol grin on his face ! (larger grin than normal !!!) It really doesn't matter , but it would be nice to be able to document where she came from , you know italians and pedigree and allllll.

See you in Tennessee I hope ,

Glenn

Steve :

Did you ride a fantic back then ? 'cause I'm still trying to find out the origins of my 240 ... It is decidedly different from the other ones I've got .... IE. no switch brackets or fork lock was ever welded to the frame , and it has extra tubes added to support the steering neck , behind the sheetmetal braces ... And is ported quite differently too from my other 240 barrels , and the fork angle is a bit steeper than stock ..............And I must add that with the flatslide carb on her , she is a thrill to use ... And I've got a bill of sale and all the other papers from Cherokee cycle center selling a used competition motorcycle for $2250.00 cash to a Steif J. Counts in lancaster , CA. And I want to know if it was Lampkins or Michuads bike that was left behind ? "cause it sure ain't quite stock and the frame changes were there from the first build as far as I can tell , And you should've seen the look on Ryan Youngs face when he got off her a couple years ago :) :) AKA he took off for a 5 min ride and came back about 25 min's later with a big 'ol grin on his face ! (larger grin than normal !!!) It really doesn't matter , but it would be nice to be able to document where she came from , you know italians and pedigree and allllll.

See you in Tennessee I hope ,

Glenn

Glenn,

I think Michaud was riding a SWM at the '83 Tex WR. But I do remember quite a few top riders on Fantic. The real special ones had Bultaco

Sherpa Square Box silencers welded on the the end of the Fantic silencers but they may have been removed before the bikes were sold

Duane Walters from here in S. Cal got one of the bikes which he had to beg Chuck West for. It was a rocketship for sure but better bottom end

was the real improvement as I recall.

Sounds like your bike has enough changes to have been a bike for one of the top riders.

Glenn:

I was riding a well used Montesa 200 that year! But, Kramit is correct about his post. Michaud was on SWM. John Lampkin won the World Round, his first. Gilles Burgat was also on Fantic. that event was in Muenster TX. The weekend before that was Austin, the first round of the Nationals that year.

I was riding Sportsman class. I remember coming in from my second loop to hand my card in and looking at the scoreboard, and being shocked that I was in1st place after the first loop scores were posted. My poor little Montesa had rear brake shoes that were worn out, and on the last lap, every time I had to use them top stop and hop, they would lock on because the cam would go past center...... I think I ended up 3rd on the day. I was pretty thrilled, and overwhelmed by the sheer size and scope of the event. Very professional, and so many riders! I was hooked for about 5-6 yrs straight.

Steve

Edited by steve fracy

It does pull from idle to wfo without a hitch in about any gear without any clutch action needed , thats for sure . One of these days I may have to contact whats left of fantic in Italy and see if the kept any records from that far back ...

Glenn

And boy I missed alot during my 30 odd year vacation from trials ....:(

Edited by axulsuv

Glenn:

I am still in contact with Chuck West, the Fantic importer from back then....I will see if he has any info ok?

Steve

Chuck West......now there's a name I haven't heard in a number of years. I bet Chuck could write quite a book about

the American Trials Scene.......and I would be the first in line to purchase one

Me too! Both Chuck and Mike came to the TTC in 08 for the Youth Nationals when we were there with Matt! We had a great reunion! Other folks from the STRA who were there that day too were, Nelson Crouch ( clerk of the course for the STRA world round in Winchester TN), Parker Lowndes, Steve and Tom Mcneal, Barry Langford! It was awesome to see everyone together again!