John Shirt Jr On The Rtl

gbmoto

I stood out in the rain at Butser that day!!!!!

Seemed to remember that the Honda Shirty was riding had some connection with Derek Edmondson. Think it was given to him to use by the factory after Lejeune packed in ??????

Remember that Shirty didn't have a clue how to ride a 4-stroke in the mud, he was revving the motor to about 9,000 rpm and getting nowhere on the big hills!

Nice photo though (shame you didnt have a colour film)

Martin

When Honda pulled out of trials and recalled the bikes, Lejeune being their only rider by then, Derek persuaded them to lend him a bike plus necessary spares for Shirty to ride in the UK for a season, which they did.

Can't remeber how successfull he was on the Honda, a bit hit and miss I think, but not long afterwards the GasGas importership was taking off so he switched to riding Gassers from then on.

I have a article from an old dirt bike rider test.

The ultimate trials bike?

Martin Lamkin tests the last of the works four-stroke Hondas, as used by Eddie Lejeune towards the end of 1987.

Thanks to the efforts of Derrick Edmondson - Lejeune's mechanic and minder in 87 - the RTL escaped the HRC crusher and is currently being campaigned be talented Derbyshire youngster John Shirt.

Couple of snips from the artical, "Martin Lampkin not surprisingly rates the works honda as the best bike he's ever ridden.

"it looks like a production RTL- but there the similarity ends.