Greeves Bash Plate

scottishsteve

The standard Greeves never had bash plate but sometimes wish it had as I broke the cases often Unless sombody now makes them you will have to make your own The lower frame hangs down below the engine/gearbox so it was mosly the timing covers ( inner and outer ) that broke

Hi, I remember seeing some fitted with a sort of loop bolted or welded to the bottom loop of the frame/ engine plates, sticking out under the engine cases. How successfull they are I don't know. I think Mr Greeves may have something to suit, probably be expensive from him though. Back when I were a lad, one of my Greeves had a prop stand that disappeared between the engine plates, has anyone else seen or got one. The particular bike was ex Don Smith/factory issue, so did that have anything to do with it? Dave

• 2 weeks later...

On the two Greeves trials bikes I have owned I made L brackets for each side the engine which from memory were secured to the front engine mount bolt, similar brackets were made for the rear but right now I cannot remember where they bolted to, then two strips of alloy bent into shape which went down and under each case (mag & clutch) the engine cradle protruded slightly below. This worked well protecting the cases. Make some cardboard templates first it will give you some idea.

my 59 scottish had a sidestand that folded up between the frame plates.. didnt need a bash plate as the frame plates plough a pretty deep furrow

Know just what you mean but it is the mag case that is particularly vulnerable to rock attack!!!

Will have a look if I have a picture showing the rock guards but I do not have a clue how to post pictures here on TC.

Know just what you mean but it is the mag case that is particularly vulnerable to rock attack!!!

Will have a look if I have a picture showing the rock guards but I do not have a clue how to post pictures here on TC.

email / message them to me and I will post.