Fox Rear Trials Shocks

bultacorock

Not to sure what i have on the back of my Bultaco that i got last week but they are a bit past there best, weeping oil

from the seals ... rods look fine to me no rust and the rods look stright ?????? like i would know :rolleyes: any way .......

Can seals just go if the bike as been standing at the back of a shed for years or do they just go because they have had a hard life.

They look really well made but the bit at the top were i would think the makers name would has been

painted over ? I did find that Falcon can rebuild most shocks has any one had them service there shocks if so may i ask what it cost ?

Im sure they do a great job but im just trying to work out if i would be better in the long run to get some new ones ?

Been looking on the www trying to find some info / photos of Fox rear shocks to fit my bultaco, think they use to make

shocks for trials bikes ? If you know of any links that could help then please post them below

Any info / or photos so i know what to look for or were to look would be a really big help and i would be very great full for your time.

Have been riding mountain bikes for the last 25 years and as soon as Fox started making mountain bike shocks

they were so much better than the rest of the stuff on the market they cost a bit more, you got so much more performance for your money. So i was thinking it would be nice to try and find a pair for my bultaco sherpa

Thank you for reading my post and all the best BR

Hi Bultacorock,

I was intending to send my old Falcons back for repair but to be honest, when I costed it up it was not far off £90 - a new pair is £140 ish, so it didn't seem worth the repair. In the end I replaced the seals myself.

The Falcons work really well on my Bult and I'd recommend them - if you can afford it go for the lightweight alloy ones.

cheers

• Like 1

Shocks can go bad, even when not in use: The rubber seals go hard and crack after a long time.

They also go bad when they had a hard life: sand, mud etc. damages the rod and seals after time.

Fox makes one of the best suspensions for mountainbikes and MX bikes, don't know if they make trial shocks...

I'm also considering a new pair of shocks for my T350, here are some nice ones:

http://www.themagicals.co.uk/

http://www.rockshocks.co.uk/

http://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk/index2.html

(I bought some NJB shocks but I'm considering of sending them back, not the quality I expected...)

• Like 1

Hi Semllins123 thanks for the feed back I have the all the shades of blue 199A it needs some new bits seems to go alright.

i see your from Wigan i have fond memories of many great nights out in the 80s, in the bars in town then on to wigan pier, im from the north west but work away.

Thanks for the info on the rebuild prices i did try to call them but the line was always bizzy. I have been thinking about getting some Falcon shocks they seem to have lots of good things said about them plus made in england.

And your very happy with them by the sound of things i was also trying to work out if there were much of a difference in the way they work on the bike

between the steel or alloy ones. Have you had a go on any other Bultaco s with other shocks on them.

lots of people seem to be happy with Rockshocks and magicals and maxton are 20 mins down the road but could not even find a price for them

so not a good sign wallet wise ....

BR

Edited by bultacorock

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info on seals, im very happy with the fox mountain bike shocks i had a look at there website but could not see a twinshock

line of shocks. I had forgotten about the size and weight difference between my mountain bikes and a 80s twinshock motorbike i think i will

be way out of my comfort zone on my 199A for some time its going to be fun.

Every body seems to be happy with there Falcon Rockshock and Magicals on there Bultacos i dont mind saving for some thing if im getting

some thing that works better on the bike.

The plan so far is to fit some Magical springs for the forks still trying to work out what to put on the back.

BR

Hi Bultacorock,

Yes, Wigan Pier - I spent many nights there but in the 90s...brings back some fun memories!

I have magicals progressive springs and they made a big difference - i found with the originals the front end dove too easily (actually I went over the bars twice on a tough trial in Wales once). I also have modern fork seals and dust covers fitted which are very good.

I have only ridden a Bult with the standard old Betor shocks, with new gas filled Betor type and the Falcons on the bike now. The Falcons were much better than the new betor ones. I haven't tried Rockshocks or Magicals but both have a good reputation although I have read a few comments that the magicals have gone rusty quickly (though I dont know if this is true or not).

cheers

• Like 1