2013 290 Possible Water In Oil?

hugh_b

Hi everyone,

My bike has sat un-used for 1-2 months, previous to this it had done 3 rides and would normally get an oil change. I rode it yesterday and changed the oil this evening. The colour of the oil i drained out was similar to the colour of Baileys liquor, maybe a little darker.

I'm guessing this mean's water in the oil? I've checked the coolant level, with the bike upright it's about 5-10mm from the top. I also measure what came out of the bike, although it was drained into a dirty oil pan and that was about 500ml.

Could a water pump seal go this quickly? The bike hasn't seen much use, could it possibly be condensation?

Thanks

Hugh

Doubt it would be coolant entry as the bike is too newish and the fact is seems to be normal expansion headspace in the rad based upon coolant level.

Not sure the exact color of Baileys, but a water and oil emulsion is usually a bit frothy. Possibly you were doing some water crossings before the bike was stored? It is possible to suck water up the tranny vent tube, is the tube in place under the carby?

Tell me you are not wasting good Baileys by using it in your transmission!

If you are using plain water in your cooling system, and uncolored oil in the trans, Bailey's colored drain oil probably indicates water.

If you use ATF and it has water, it will look like a pink milkshake.

If your coolant is colored (usually green or red) and it leaks into the trans, the drain oil will take on those colors.

Normal clutch wear will make the oil dark from the tiny particles of clutch fibers. If you put the drain oil in a bottle, the oil and water will gradually separate over a few days.

Thanks guy's,

I ran the bike up with fresh oil today, got it up to temperature and drained the oil, looks ok now. The coolant is green and the level deffo hasn't dropped in the rad as it's right near the top when cool.

I think it was just how long it has sat for and possibly washing but i'll keep an eye on it. I spoke to a friend today with a 2012 bike and he gets the same with the same oil (ipone) if left for 4-5 rides or if it's sat not used for a long time.

I try not to use the word "impossible" yet it is quite difficult to get coolant into the gearbox on a Sherco because there are two opposing seals and a drain hole between them. Do the math on that one and you see what I mean!