View From Kinlochleven..

totalshell

well back from another great weekend and there is much to debate although not the topics most anticipated.

the bbc weather forecast through the preceeding week was predicting rain all thursday/friday even the evening tv forecasts had graphic descriptions of the heavy rain/ windy conditions from very early in the week.

travelling up on wednesday EVERY diigital traffic notice on the m74/8 had a simple message '' heavy rain forecast for friday throughout scotland''

thursday dawned damp and as we set off on the run rain gear went straight on . the rain continued for the entire day/ evening/night . i wouldnt describe it as heavy just persistant.

friday had the rain falling just the same. i went to the start at 9.45 and bought a programme from the tent at the start. at 10.10 i was asked by a rider why no one had started yet.. i had nt noticed the start time had come and gone.. at 10.25 a chap on the start ramp shouted that the start had been delayed for an hour till 11. and that the day would be reduced to 2 laps of 15 sections. this was the only public announcement to this effect. there was no printed or handwritten notice to this effect

mean time riders queued in the rain to be scrutineered.

the rain continued to fall persistantly.

i sawwatched at three sections during the day. i have seen some of the sections with more water in them but others that are normally bone dry were raging torrents, they were virtually unrideable for the average clubman, that a late starter would only drop 7 with the rain at its worst and the becks at thier fullest is incredible.

as the first lap was about half way through riders were saying they were riding slow in the hope that the event may be reduced to one lap. others went on to ride almost two full laps before being told of the curtailment of the day.

about 7.30pm rumours began about the cancellation of the following days sections ( it was still raining)

no formal announcement was made nor available so when we woke to clear skies and sunshine we were set for a full day ( as were the observers and some riders who made for the start, one spectator had ridden 125 miles that morning to take in the days sport)

at the start there were no notices, just handouts given to competitors that spoke of inability to set out sections, enviromental issues etc.

the sun shone all day with the exception of the odd light shower ( exactly as the bbc had predicted..)

plenty of opportunities to criticise but also to recognise achievement... that of the 180 starters who battled to complete the trial in the face of relentless rain and the observers who stood at thier posts throughout the day.. also that of the organisers for firefighting throughout the day

plenty of opportunities to move forward, with the benefit of hindsight. in the planning and organisation for future events.

• Like 2

View from out side, just going by what I have read on this site, it seems there was a bit of a communication problem, I would have thought that a competition of this size, organisers would at least be able to text riders with information.

Please note not criticising the organisers / volunteers

TLTEL