Montesa 172 Replacement Engine

john b

Hi

I've a very good condition Montesa 172, engine is sweet.....but can't get the gearchange sorted......

I was thinking of either selling on as is, or possibly change the engine ??......

Ideally I would like to keep in line with the era (i.e I don't want to put a modern chinese copy 125 in), and ideally keep as a 2T.

Anyone any experience or advice on most appropriate, with minimal modification (although I've no problem with sorting some fabrication work)

cheers

John

i could have a look at that for you as done plenty 200 engines and had a 172 engine which is very simular you are better off keeping origanal as when you start modifying it opens up a can of worms ,,,did you just do darlington classic trial in richmond

Hi - yes I did Darlington trial at the weekend - I was on the TL125, my son was on the Whitehawk 80. Ideally I would like to keep the same engine so would be great if you could have a look for me ! I was hoping to have the montesa as the next twinshock bike for my son after the Whitehawk.

I'll pm you with contact details if that's ok

Hi - tried to pm but won't let me ! My number is 07976647755

Many thanks

John

Edited by john b

Yeah ! remember - at section 10 !

well any help with the Montesa is greatly appreciated if you want to give me a ring sometime. Was a good trial at the weekend - my son started trials on a TY80 and has been riding modern for a while on a beta 80 but he really enjoyed it as well - and he really wants the montesa 172

cheers

John

Edited by john b

OK - shame you sold it ! I've got some spare engine parts that came with the bike. If I drop it with you sometime would you have a look over it ? Im more thsn willing to pay for time - id be over moon (well my son would !) if I got it fixed

Do you do the Nostalgia trial in the summer ? I've done it that last few years - its excellent

cheers

John

Cheers

Nostalgia trial is Kendal classic - it runs at Segbergh. Great trial - 2 laps 20 sections on the Saturday, and you can stay and watch the classic scramble on the Sunday !