Amal Carb Air Filter

trialsrfun

Many British bikes fitted with the Amal carburettor use a round screw on air filter which usually has either a paper or gauze filter element.

Which type is best though, some of the gauze ones look rather poor (you can see straight through them) the paper ones I suppose may get wet when it rains via the holes in the metal outer so which type is the better option?

my amal uses the original amal competition filter ( held on by two spring clips).

its gauze with a felt seal at each end..a strip down and good clean with diesel normally sorts it out.

its not as whistle clean as a modern carb with modern foam filter but it is a p65 bike and thus carries a few compromises plenty of pics on the blog link below..

i ve shied away from the foam filters above especially with all the rain we ve had recently as foam can become a sponge by any other name..

Edited by totalshell

my amal uses the original amal competition filter ( held on by two spring clips).

its gauze with a felt seal at each end..a strip down and good clean with diesel normally sorts it out.

its not as whistle clean as a modern carb with modern foam filter but it is a p65 bike and thus carries a few compromises plenty of pics on the blog link below..

i ve shied away from the foam filters above especially with all the rain we ve had recently as foam can become a sponge by any other name..

Hi Totalshell, Its the rain that bothers me too, the (very nice) FB on your BlogSpot has a Villiers carb and Villiers air filter not Amal, am I looking at the right pictures?

Edited by trialsrfun

If this years pre 65 didn't cause it a problem, and it didn't - what conditions are you riding in ?

I use chain saw air filter oil, suspect that it will absorb less water than a paper element.

oops your right it does.. forgot the amal with villers comp airfilter was later than the blog ( last updated a couple of years ago)

the amal never worked as well as the villiers.. but cant reproduce another villiers for all my efforts i think the secret squirels must have had the files out on the needle and carb cutout..

the air filter is okay never had a problem in wet with it but it does need regular cleaning and very light oiling. i saw one cub in scotland with an admitterdly large foam filter that was not working as it was so wet..

If this years pre 65 didn't cause it a problem, and it didn't - what conditions are you riding in ?

I use chain saw air filter oil, suspect that it will absorb less water than a paper element.

Thank you b40rt & totalshell for your replies, I have chain saw air filter oil in the workshop so I will give it a try.

Just a sugestion - I run the pancake filter on my Bantam. Works OK but it isn't servicable - so when the papers dirty, you have to buy a new element. I soaked the paper in water, then ripped it off with pliers - this leaves the element without any filtration. I then bough some foam air filter material and cut to size. The filter is now servicable (wash the foam every couple of trials). I use the foam air filter spray which is supposed to keep it water resistant.

Edited by smelling123

Just a sugestion - I run the pancake filter on my Bantam. Works OK but it isn't servicable - so when the papers dirty, you have to buy a new element. I soaked the paper in water, then ripped it off with pliers - this leaves the element without any filtration. I then bough some foam air filter material and cut to size. The filter is now servicable (wash the foam every couple of trials). I use the foam air filter spray which is supposed to keep it water resistant.

Good idea that Stu, how have you secured the foam to the filter cage?

Trialsrfun - "Good idea that Stu, how have you secured the foam to the filter cage?"

The filter element has a perforated sheet inside and I just cut the foam to the width of the 'gap' thats created when the paper element gets ripped off. So the perforated sheet holds it on the inside, and the chrome external perforated bit holds it on the outside. You can get foam sheet from Sammy Millers or trialsbits.co.uk.

Ive put a picture here - you can just about see the blue foam http://www.flickr.com/photos/76022002@N08/8815764478/

cheers, Stu.