Spark Of Genius

bultacorock

Just got the new Classic Dirtbike mag i have been following there rebuild to ride Bultaco this one is about fitting electronic

ignition. one of the jobs on my list that seems to be getting longer, anyway at the end it says go to the classic bike

club page to see live action of the test ride, has any one seen the video if so could you please post a link to it.

All the best

BR

I haven't seen it no, but it's not going to tell you anything about electronic ignition, all you'll see is someone riding a bike... It may fire up with the first kick but they'll do that on points too.

The main reason most fit it is to do away with points maintenance, it doesn't transform the power of a bike to GasGas like levels, most you ca do is alter advance curves. I have a model 92, so does a mate of mine. One has points, the other electronic. If you rode them both you wouldn't know which was fitted with which.

I'm not saying electronic isn't worth having, I've got it on two of my Sherpas, soon to be three, but don't expect it to transform the bike into a 280 GasGas

• Like 1

well said woody i agree ive had the electronic ignition on 1 of my sherpas and they dont make the bike any difrant. on the other hand they are good like woody says it takes the hassal of the points. witch is the way im going with my other bikes.

• Like 1

Hi Woody, Hi Bondy,

Thanks for the feed back will leave electronic ignition till last then lot of other things need to be done first, im at the stage im not sure were to start i have lots of new bit for my 199A but it seems every time i have a closer look some thing else come to light im starting to think im going

about this the wrong way round anyway found a club that run events about 25 mins from home so will try to make sure i have time to be at

there next event

Thanks for all your help and feed back

BR

Edited by bultacorock

I was wondering what brand or brands of electronic ignition people were using and were there any to avoid as a friend has just had to send a faulty Yamaha one back to the UK. This has not been a speedy process and you would assume the reason for installing an electronic ignition would be the reliability issue. Also has anyone noticed the digital one for sale on Todo Trial with the inbuilt advance, for Montesa only at this point.

Cheers Greg

Hey Greg - give Pete Bowker at Bultaco UK a go - I've got one going on the 198b shortly.

Cheers

Paul Mac

Thanks Paul , do you know what brand they are, some appear to have an advance curve programmed into them, There is not a lot of information about their ignition on the Inmotion site

Cheers Greg