Gearbox Selector Shaft

big_e

Apologies if this problem has already been done to death, but having just stripped my recently acquired 199A I have found a well bent gear selector shaft and a bit of advice would be more than welcome. No doubt the left-hand side gear lever has come off worst in an argument with a large rock at some time in its past, leaving the shaft to absorb the impact, a major disadvantage of a lever which looks like it was made for a Challenger tank and a selector shaft out of a ladies watch, although it looks like the case and bearing has survived. Is the standard repair to have a go at straightening the shaft or is a replacement needed? If a replacement is the way to go, then where can I find one? The usual outlets don't seem to advertise such spares. I could convert to a right-hand lever and chop off the bent end but I am loathe to go this route and risk a nasty mix up of controls with my road bike and my other trials bike.

I now see the point of Dave Renham's aluminium gear levers!

Just one more question whilst I am at it. Is it worth hand-grinding (blending) the carb mounting manifold to the barrel and carb to improve gas flow on the inlet tract? Surely this would improve performance and smooth the pick up a bit?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.