Tlr 200 Main Bearings Problem.

tltel

Hi.

I had a look at my TLR at the weekend, with the intention of checking the cam chain tension by removing flywheel and manually adjusting the chain. (as suggested by AndyM)

The reason being that the engine has got noticeably noisier recently. I have owned the bike about three years and have changed the oil a few times even though I have only ridden it a hand full of times.

What I found!!

The chain tensioner (adjuster side) has a small split at the bottom that opens slightly when pressure is applied, so I removed it to identify for replacement.

Does anyone know if this item is the same as any other model ???

I then had a look at the main bearing, wiped it with a rag on my finger and the whole bearing turned in the casing very easily.

So what now?

Is this a common fault with these engines?

What is the solution?

The internals look very clean, the bearing spins smoothly with no signs of previous over heating.

Obviously if I am going to split the cases I will want to fit new bearings.

Does anyone know the numbers so that I can source them from a local supplier?

How easy is it to remove the sprocket from the crankshaft???

Is there some sort of bearing locktight available?

I have split and put back together several TL and an XR engine so that bit doesn't bother me, but any input or answers to my questions will be appreciated.

The worst bit is, the last time I rode it was the first time I really enjoyed it, now its broke!!!

Thanks.

TLTEL

Thanks B40rt, I hoped there was something like that available, just need someone to come up with bearing numbers.

I would like to get parts before I dismantle as I don't have a lot of workshop space available at the moment.

TLTEL

Hi TLTEL,

You`ll find the Honda partnumbers at www.cmsnl.com.

But I don`t think that you need new crankshaft bearings.

In my opinion the left crankshaft bearing must lie laxly in the crankcase to compensate the heat delay of crankcase and crankshaft.

Honda didn`t fix it so I would`t do it.

The right crankcase bearing is fixed in the right crankcase cause this is the transmission side.

I `m just repairing the kickstart transmission so I had to separate the crankcase.

Rollox

Edited by rollox

Rollox.

Thanks for the input, it does seem very slack and when I put pressure on crankshaft in an up and down motion I can see the cam chain moving. It is hard to tell if it is the bearing moving or slack within the bearing itself, or maybe I am twisting it slightly.

I have recently had to replace a crank on my sons XR 125 and although this is the push rod engine the bottom end is very similar. The bearing on that engine was not tight but it was more snug than my one.

Maybe I should replace the cam chain guide first before diving inside and see if that makes it a bit quieter.

Thanks for the link, I have used them before for TL bits so will take a look.

TLTEL

• 1 month later...

update if anyone is interested, I replaced the cam chain tensioner guide with a new one and rode it around the garden till it got hot and it sounded ok. so going to ride it at a trial this weekend, should be interesting it all feels so different to the gasser.

TLTEL

ok thanks. The thing with this bike is the exhaust is so quiet that any noise is loud in comparison... I am quite nervous about riding a twinshock again, it must be nearly 3 years since I rode it in a competition.

Will let you Know how it goes.

TLTEL