Obstacles On Downhills

yea I don't like downhill logs either. I can go up a rather large log on an uphill or flat but put a log 1/4 of that size on a downhill and I freak out. I am getting a bit better.

Slow down as much as possible, Keep your butt as far back over the rear fender as possible. depending on log size you may need to give just a hint of a blip of throttle to get the front tire to come on top of the log, if smallish log then you just roll over it and hit the brakes on the other side, if largish log and the hillside conditions make it possible you may be able to let the rear tire hit the log while leaning back and then the skid plate will rest on the log, (this usually works best if the log is at the top of the hill, but some hills work for doing this in the middle of the hill) then you can collect yourself, breathe again and just roll off the other side with the brakes on.

Be sure to have a friend with you that has a video camera to catch the action on video! I mean have a friend there for support and assistance.

It`s gravity that scares the sh_ _ out of you. If (when) you crash you normally have gravity on your side. On the down hills you just know that the bike is going to chase you all the way down. I always tell everyone down hills are the easiest. You and the bike will get down, maybe not on two wheels!! Biggest thing to practice on the small stuff without taking that safety dab that always pops out!

Weight back,very slow, place front wheel on top of the log and give a tiny blip of throttle...just enough so the log does not get caught between front wheel and skid plate. Slide over on the skid plate and the back wheel will stop you. You then have some time to decide if you are pointed in the right direction before rolling off.

However, I doubt this technique works with a '64 Pan. If it does, post pictures.

• Like 3

yes young grasshopper

Practice your weaknesses until they are your strengths.

lol

or you could just quote yoda.

rob

"Named must your fear be before banish it you can." Yoda...

Seems appropriate. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

It`s gravity that scares the sh_ _ out of you. If (when) you crash you normally have gravity on your side. On the down hills you just know that the bike is going to chase you all the way down. I always tell everyone down hills are the easiest. You and the bike will get down, maybe not on two wheels!! Biggest thing to practice on the small stuff without taking that safety dab that always pops out!

Try to think of the downhill as a reverse uphill....better yet, look at it from a level or flat perspective only with your weight way back on the fender....works better with your mind :)

I actually like downhills, I seem to have better control of my weight bias and balance

A guy told me once to just stop worrying about being able to stop, you don't stop going up why would you need to stop going down and you can ride down as fast as you can ride up

I say that to myself all the time and it helps me

Now can anyone help me with the transition from uphilll to a tight turn over debris to going back down?

That one is my problem and I mess it up all the time, crashed hard last time I was out on that one