Jetting After Switching To Race Gas

charlie chitlins

Curious why you want to use 100 octane fuel?

Have you made substantial compression mods to the point where you can no longer use pump gas due to terminal detonation?

On a basic unmodified engine high octane fuels cause a significant decrease in horsepower

Charlie,

I have never had to change jetting for 100LL if the bike was jetted properly to begin with and the fuel screw was in range. On a dellorto, that would likely mean at least a 36 pilot.

Trying to get non-alcohol induced fuel! Unless one lives in remote rural areas, it is near impossible! It has its advantages and disadvantages best I can figure.

What level of alcohol is in your fuel?

In Canada pretty much everything has 10%, by law they don't have to tell you until it has more

Can you be sure there is no alcohol in Av Gas?, I don't really know much about the stuff

What effect does the alcohol level have on your bikes?, what problem are you trying to solve?

It's aviation fuel and there is no alcohol in it.

The airplane guys won't have it.

The alcohol in pump gas was growing my tank so much it would no longer fit in the frame.

I didn't set out looking for high octane gas (although the little stickie on my bike calls for 98), I just wanted to do away with the alcohol.

What level of alcohol is in your fuel?

In Canada pretty much everything has 10%, by law they don't have to tell you until it has more

Can you be sure there is no alcohol in Av Gas?, I don't really know much about the stuff

What effect does the alcohol level have on your bikes?, what problem are you trying to solve?

I think there are several things to consider on bikes. Firstly, on a Sherco, the alcohol does seem to take advantage of the permeability of the nylon tank and make it expand to possibly a unusable size. I have seen mine grow to near 10mm on length, not sure the girth, but a tight fit! Seen it return to normal as well, using the real gas.

The car gas in US, rated by R+M/2 method being around 93 for premium would still be near the euro method using a single rating of 98 octane(knock resistance) It will run and work fine in the motor, if kept fresh, as it does not store well and the alcohol is hygroscopic up to its absorption capacity, which can vary and result in water fallout. The high aeromatics in car gas go off rather quickly it seems, and as example, my Yam will not even start if left set for two weeks with fuel in the bowl.

100LL seems to store well for months on end with no issues. I have found it can cause some problems here in high temp environment as it does not like hot restarts(vaporlock) as the stuff is blended to work better in cooler environment at altitude, this is understandable.

As far as power goes, a quicker burning fuel(lower octane) may well develop more power in a motor not designed for the high octane fuel, blessing or curse, as smoother power has its advantage as well? Not a lot of difference really, possibly some.

We really want to know how that 100 Oct works in the FLH

The Pan loves it!

Probably 9.5:1 compression and not the most efficient combustion chamber design, if you know what I mean.

Although...the timing is adjustable with the left grip when he starts to ping.

Throttle is slow action, so it has great grip in the slippery sections.

Both bikes are burning the same way.

Jetting is right according to what others here are saying.

Half the plug is grey, the other black.

I suspect the black is facing the intake (haven't marked the plug and checked for sure), as I run the mix a little fat.

I guess it's time for crank seals.

I'll be expert at the procedure after doing 2 bikes in a row!

Well, seals are cheap, and it is not too much work, so you should survive! I spent a bit more for the Viton seals from Splatshop so not to worry in the future no matter the fuel I had to use.

Seals Are different between the big bike and 125 as well, just FYI

I just have to add , I LOVE the AVE.GAS in my bikes .... You should see the strange fuel related issue's I see at work ... And I live in a area with about 10 stations that sell 93 e-free ! and folks won't spend the extra pennies to keep their street bikes running sweet ! I just spent the better part of a day diagnosing a 2008 ZX6r with a fuel related problem ... 6k on the bike , Light corrosion in the tank , pickup filter plugged slap up ... Good fuel pressure , but no volume And the guy tells me after the 3rd interrogation , " I only run mid grade , 'cause I don't ride it hard " . Cleaned all 8 injectors , new fuel pump , a couple drops of marvel mystery oil in the tank with good fuel , and the bike will pull redline in every gear ... Almost a scary bike to go WFO on ! :)

Glenn (and my Fantics always start by the 2nd or 3rd kick , no matter how long they sit neglected ....)

• Like 1