Adjusting Timing

charliechitlins

:D OK...so I lost my job and have too much time on my hands, and I'm fooling around with my bike.

A while ago a real good rider asked me, on a muddy day, how much rear tire pressure I was running because I was getting such terrible traction.

Well...I was only running about 3psi, so it must just be that I suck.

I thought that I'd try retarding my timing..a lot...because it's at almost full advance.

I put it at almost full retard and here's what I noticed:

-The muffler started to burn on a very small hill

-Even after it stopped smoking, my boot, where it contacted the muffler, was getting real hot.

-The muffler got so hot, it melted a hole in the fender.

-The power was soft as hell, and I was getting great traction on hills.

-I think I'll advance it a bit. :D

I thought you were a teacher Charlie? If so how does a teacher lose their job (other than interfering with the "merchandise"). Nonetheless bad news. I've only recently found a job, albeit only a temporary/contract postion after being out of work for 2 years. And it's not like I'm unskilled.

Good luck job hunting. I know what it's like.

HEY!!

She was 18!! :D

Only kidding.

It was an old private school

We had, shall we say, philosophical differences.

I actually got reprimanded for being "forward thinking".

Talk about bad timing!

Strange that, I picked out "Zen & the art of Motorcycle maintenace" from the bookshelf last night.

The situation seems vaguely similar.

Good luck Charlie.

Edited by TooFastTim

Charlie, the timing has to be up a bit to keep funny things fron happening as you stated. If you have the Ducati ignition, the majic number I found was about 2.75mm BTC for slow timing, or about 1/4 to 1/3 slow on the backing plate. Slower than that and it just does'nt work, too much unburned fuel downstream and a lot of "run -on" wing -ding stuff if you follow. Halfway works ok as i recall and provides the needed results. GO FIGURE! :blink:

MC

Yeah.

Ryan sez about 1/8" in either direction from the factory timing is the range of adjustment.

Mine was set with the screw way towards the front of the top slot, so I set it so the screw was way towards the rear.

It was interesting, actually. The bike was totally different. The power was too slow even for me. It was great on a slippery hill, but I had to plan a little further in advance to lift the front for obstacles.

It even sounded like a completely different bike.

Actually...it sounded like a Montesa.