Cma Trials Advisory Committee (Tac) Member Announcement:

borus

CMA Trials Advisory Committee (TAC) Member Announcement:

Press Release - November 22/2013

I am extremely excited to announce the members selected to the very first CMA Trials Advisory Committee (TAC). As the chairman to this new venture, it was imperative to me to make sure we have the best people, with the most experience in the country. Not only do these people hold a wealth of knowledge about riding and competing in our sport, they have a solid background in organizing high level events in Canada.

I am very confident that the team we have assembled is up to the task we have ahead of us. I am also very motivated to work with all of them as they share the passion that I have, and can back it up with their wealth of experiences over a long period. Above all of that, I am proud to say that in my 35yrs of riding trials, they are some of the finest people I have ever met! Congratulations all of you!

Sincerely, Steve Fracy

TAC Chairman ChristyRichards.jpg

Christy Williams Richards, British Columbia

Christy comes from a long line of trials riders; there are trophies in her house that date back to Ireland in 1912. Her first bike was a TY80, passed down through her sisters, Tracey and Kerry. Christy progressed through the Pacific Northwest Trials Association regional series, up to the AMA/NATC national series, starting in 1998. She won 9 U.S. National titles in 11 years. She has represented Team Canada at the Trials des Nations 10 times, as well as riding in the FIM Women's World Championships in Europe, finishing as high as 5th place in one event, and in the top 10 for championship points for 4 years. Christy has also competed in the Scottish Six Days Trial twice; in 2003 and 2006. Retired from full time National competition since 2008, she did win 2 rounds of the NATC series in 2011, and still competes in the PNTA series, as well as hosting the Super Stars 2-day event at Ioco.

BenPospisil.jpg

Ben Pospisil, Alberta

Ben started his involvement in trials at a very young age from as far back as when he could barely walk, helping his father Harold organize and setup events in Alberta.

In the last 15 years he and his family have been heavily involved with the sport and Ben has won 7 Alberta Championships along the way, and competed in many Nationals.

He is one of the up and comers in our sport, in his province. He has aspirations of riding the Scottish Six Day Trial, and the TdN one day as well as being able to compete in FIM Gp's.

DerekThomas.jpg

Derek Thomas, Saskatchewan

- Competed in first Trials at age 8.

- Ontario Intermediate Champion, 1989

- 2nd foreign rider to win a US High school National, 1990

- 19 years, competed in the Canadian National Series

- 10 x top 5 in Canada, 4 x top 3 in Canada

- 2nd class award, Scottish Six Days Trials, 1994

- 15 FIM World Championship GP's, Best finishes being 22nd place in the '96 Canadian GP, '99 US GP

- Top rider in Saskatchewan for 5 years running.

- 3 x Team Canada member for the '08, '09, '13 Trial des Nations

- Organized all levels of Trials events in Canada from club events, to Nationals.

- A founding member of Saskatchewan's first and only nationally sanctioned Trials club.

- President of the Saskatchewan Flatland Trials Association in 2009-10.

- Member of the CMA, TdN Team Canada, Strategic Planning Committee .

- Vice President of the SFTA, 2011.

- Secretary of the SFTA, 2012-present.

JonathanEnglish.jpg

Jonathan English, Ontario

Jonathan rode his first bike at the age of 6 that his Dad built for him! He later progressed to a TY80 and rode his first trial in Tweed, Ontario at the age of 10.

He was Ontario Intermediate class champ in 95, and quickly improved and became Ontario Expert champ in 97, and began to challenge himself riding all the Canadian CMA Nationals between 96-99 as well as many US Nationals riding the Pro class.

Between the years of 2000-2006, Jonathan took a sabbatical from trials as he focused on his career of a commercial pilot. Back at it late in 2006, he picked up where he left off riding US championships again, also riding in the 2007 Trial des Nation in the Isle of Man. This would be the first of 5 TdN's he has represented Canada in!

In 2011, Jonathan rode the prestigious Scottish Six Day Trial in the 100th running of that famed event, and also won a National championship in the WEC trials championship. Since 2009, he has also been placed in the top 3 in the CMA Trials Championships and remains there today!

PaulBelanger.jpg

Paul-Yvan Belanger, Quebec

Paul is 56yrs old and lives in Riviere du Loup PQ, and is the proud father of 5 children. All but one of them are involved in trials. His two sons ride Expert class with him in ATAQ events, and daughter also competes in the Novice class. A real family tradition!

He began riding in 1976 on a TY 175, and his first event ever was in 1983. Paul joined the CMA in 1985 and is a life member today.

Paul has twice finished as high as #2 in the CMA National series, and in the top 5 several times.

He has also been very involved in organizing events in Quebec since 1983, including at least 1 or 2 provincial events every year and many CMA Nationals in and around Riviere du Loup.

In 2007 Paul was very proud to represent his country in the Trial des Nations in the Isle of Man.

all the best to the TAC

cheers

bob

Edited by borus

Looks like quite a pool of talented and dedicated people. This next statement is not meant to take away from the "older" riders at all, But I like the inclusion of a "youngen" on the Committee. The "older" riders bring experience from a wide range of years and has seen many parts of trials come and go and that experience will be needed. The "youngen" brings a view point of what the next generation will be looking at in terms of trials and the direction they would like to see it go.

On Edit: Also great to see a lady trials rider as a member of the committee. Need more input from the ladies on to how to get more ladies involved in riding.

Well chosen Members of the Committee

Edited by zippy

Exciting times for sure...

I certainly hope all Canadian riders will be able to pull together to grow the sport from youth programs all the way to world class athletes. I think there is a real need to support both the recreational competitions and the elite sport competitions in the country maybe having 2 strong organizations working together might be the best way to accomplish this... it will be interesting to see how it all plays out but it is just great to see Canadian Trials in the news !!!

I guess I just see it differently in my view... we are too big a country and too small of a sport... to turn away help and enthusiasm from any organization or individual... at the end of the day I just hope we can pry the tv remote and game controllers from our youth and get them outside as they are really the ones that need this sport in their lives and could care less how that happens.

• Like 1