Lobito

boghopper350

Hi. I have just got my grubby mits on a Bultaco Lobito. Engine number M-6200178 and was wondering whether it may make a reasonable little trials bike for Mrs Boghopper. I understand that it won't be the usual torque monster you would expect from a bully, but bearing in mind who it's for, I don't think that would be a bad thing! Any thoughts?

A few years ago we had a rider local to me try riding an M85 Alpina in Trials (what the Lobito developed into) the bike was hard work to ride in sections as the gearing and power band just did not suit. The rider got very disillusioned with the bike even after lowering the gearing, particularly after riding it in sections back to back with my M80.

I would be very careful as you might find Mrs Boghopper rather than encouraged is put of riding as on this bike she would not be doing as well as she should be. Make sure she rides an easy to ride bike as possible.

Just my opinion and from a rider who is planning on riding my M215 370 Frontera in Braintree and District MCC long Distance Trial on the 2nd of March.

Stuart

Lobito can be made into a reasonable twinshock trials bike with many modifications, but if it is still standard, the footpegs are way too far forwards, and the steering geometry is wrong. I think to ride an old bike you have to actually like riding old bikes. My wife started riding trials on an OSSA MAR in the early 2000s and thought that was OK until she rode a 2003 Beta, then wouldn't touch an old bike.

Like twinnshock's local rider, I also started riding trials on an early model Alpina back in 1975, and thought it was OK until I rode a proper trials bike for the first time, and a Lobito is worse to ride in trials than an Alpina

Edited by feetupfun