sherco news

the artist formerly known as ish

From this months sherco news letter.

Sherco is celebrating its 5th anniversary this month. Back in November of 1998 the first of the 1999 2.5 trials model began being produced at the Caldes de Montbui factory. A total of 1,000 or these models were produced in the first year or production.

In order to commemorate this anniversary Sherco News is happy to provide this interview with Sherco CEO Marc Teissier. Marc had a dream to produce a world class trials motorcycle and it is obvious from the success that Sherco has obtained, that his dream is being realized. In fact it appears that Sherco has grown faster and larger than he might have originally dreamed.

[ HighRes ]

What do you have to say about the growth that Sherco has undergone in such a short period of time?

The work carried out by the Sherco team during these four and a half years has been truly remarkable, though we cannot forget that they were highly experienced people that stood on their ground perfectly. Hopefully we can apply the same successful method to the Enduro and Supermotard categories but, in the meantime, I can surely state that we have started in the best possible way.

Your entry in different market sectors - Trials, Enduro, Supermotard,… - Had it been previously planned or has it been influenced by the market evolution?

Although we had started working only on trials, we clearly aimed to become a firm specializing in cross-country bikes. Later, the possibility of acquiring the HRD trademark boosted the process by making things much easier for us, but the idea was not new. We have to consider, for example, that the recently released Enduro 4T engine has been for a long time in project and designing process, before rumours about its creation started going round.

Which are, in your opinion, the advantages Sherco has compared to other firms with a higher productive output?

Our ability to react and specifically, the passion put into their work by the whole team. Obtaining a high productive output is not difficult at all if the previous work has been appropriately done.

Why has the Sherco production been divided in two manufacturing centres?

The main reason is that each department has enough independence to make its own decisions, irrespective of other aspects other than those strictly related to motorcycle development. This specialization increases our ability to react to any eventuality.

When will we be able to see the Sherco Trials 4T?

Undoubtedly, early in 2004.

Could you reveal to us any new features?

I am sorry, but not for the moment.

What is your opinion about the future of trials with the 4T?

I don't have a very clear opinion regarding this matter, but on the other hand, this step was unavoidable if we take into account aspects such as anti-pollution regulations and the current trend favouring this type of engine.

What do you thing about the current situation of trials as a sport?

I think that, on a local scale, trials is in good health. But, on a world scale, the situation is totally opposite. Trials does not live up to the expectations of its followers. I'm thinking of withdrawing Sherco from the World Championship if the situation does not improve in a short time.

Are there going to be any changes regarding riders for next year?

We'll be having Sam Connor in England, Jarvis in the Spanish Championship, Guil in the Junior and also Joan Pons. We shouldn't forget the Sherco Academy created by Andreu Codina last year, which has become a beautiful reality this year, with 12 riders ready to compete in 2004.

What is Sherco trying to accomplish in the enduro category?

We have already had a good start in the 50cc category by winning the 2002 French Championship, and by also winning the Trophee Des Abeilles 2003 and becoming the 2003 French Championship runners-up. We are starting to work with Italian rider Stefano Passeri and other national riders with the 450. Our real entry in the World Championship will take place in 2005.

In which category would you place the new Sherco Enduro if compared to other models from rival firms?

The Sherco 4.5i is a true Enduro bike, not a modified Cross. It has been created for competing with the KTM, Husqvarna, etc.

Will the range be increased with different cc bikes or other types of engines?

There will surely be a 250cc in the future, it's a logic evolution.

Are there going to be motocross versions?

Not in 2004, but probably afterwards.

What are Sherco's future plans for the enduro and/or Supermotard with the new bike?

I've already answered about the enduro category. In the Supermotard case, we have started by obtaining an absolute success with the 50cc, winning the 2002 French Championship with Yoan Marche and in 2003 with Mike Valade. Following the example of trials, we have created the Sherco Cup, with 25 riders aged between 12-18 years. For the moment, 2004 will be a testing year with the 450i, but in the future we will surely become more involved in Supermotard with this bike.

Edited by ishy