Leaning To Use The Rear Brake?

Hi guys

I need some advice on some training ideas that will force me to use the rear brake more. I dont use it as much as i should, only on steep down hills really. Any ideas what i can do to force the use of it upon myself?

I'm in the same boat (and on the same bike!). I've always had issues feeling comfortable using the rear brake on any bike. The major thing I've noticed with it on a trials bike is foot position. I'd say that most of the guys I watch (expert+) are always in a position on the pegs such that they can cover the rear brake (some exceptions obviously), whereas I find that I'm almost always on the balls of my feet and am unable to get the rear brake without shifting my foot position.

So, I'm trying to train myself to change where I stand on the pegs, so that I can always cover the rear brake.

I'm also practicing wheelies: bring the front up, then immediately bring it back down with the rear brake rather than just clutching. This is helping.

Why do you want to force yourself? If you need it you use it

So why force yourself to use it when you don't need it

Maybe I read it wrong, but I don't think this is what he's getting at. At least for me, I find myself with my feet positioned incorrectly to be able to grab the rear brake when it would be useful to do so. So I'm trying to modify that behavior.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I don't think this is what he's getting at. At least for me, I find myself with my feet positioned incorrectly to be able to grab the rear brake when it would be useful to do so. So I'm trying to modify that behavior.

You are kind of right. I am able to cover the rear but im just bad at using it. I dont want to use it if its not necessary however alot of the more advanced manoeuvres require its use ie. Static, Front up against a ledge, rear on a rock.....without rear brake on....front slips down. Just a example.

Im looking for a practice technique that will help me learn to use the rear precisely.

Sorry, my first post was a bit unclear. I want to practice using it without learning the hard way on tougher obstacle.

Edited by mokwepa

Thanks for the input. I weelie past balance point but then end up slaming the front down after a bit of panic and a lot of rear brake. Guess I need to practice being gentle.

Can you tame a rear brake down a bit without loosing its efficiency on a steep decents or rendering it useless in trials terms, if you understand what im getting at. Or is it just a practice thing?