Sideways Trailers?

john_skov

Three issues: Width, turning radius, tie downs. The trailer will be wider in this orientation and may be pron to be hit by a passing car on a narrower road. Due to the very short tounge one of the leading edges of the trailer will hit the back bumper when making a large turn. The ties downs will extend out making the trailer even weirder ( I don't see tie down facilitation on this trailer picture).

What about a regular trailer that stands up. Go to Kendons trailers web site.

Edited by billyt

trailer.doc

I would not use a trailer like that, bike rack better for trial bike so long as your car is reasonably wide.

See the Word document. Quite a few years ago I made a couple of these trailers that could be quickly dismantled and carried up a passage at the side of a terraced house. I used 40 x 40 x 3 box but you may be able to go a bit smaller / lighter.

The wheels were attached with light (can/t remember kg) 4 bolt Indespension units and mudguards were plastic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies :thumbup:

I figured there must be a reason(s) I've never seen these type used before!

I do actually have a rack, but my tow bar is only rated for 50kg nose weight :unsure:

dadof2 - that looks like a good idea thanks.

I have exactly the same dilemma...I know ignorance is no defence in law but my 20kg bike rack and 70kg Sherco seem to be well supported by my weedy (50kg limit) tow bar??? :unsure:

I would not want to try to reverse that, the shorter the tow bar the quicker it will turn.

Also if you had to push it back by hand it could tip up if one wheel hit a bump, very expensive if it was a road bike.

I would not want to try to reverse that, the shorter the tow bar the quicker it will turn.

Also if you had to push it back by hand it could tip up if one wheel hit a bump, very expensive if it was a road bike.

Yea but what a ride if you continued to hold the tow bar as the trailer tipped up! :D

• Like 1