Can Any One Identify Which Bike This Rear Wheel Was Fitted To ?

gasgas249uk

Im restoring this 1986 GasGas 325 Halley at the moment and Ive run into a problem.

The rear wheel around the bearing is cracked beyond repair. Weld would simply break at this stress point and in any case the metal does even take weld, particularly well. Welding is out of the question.

It is a Nagesti 120mm internal diameter drum rear hub. Nagesti were absorbed into Akront.

Merlins were fitted with 110mm Nagesti's so this is not good enough.

Does anyone have any knowledge of other bikes that this rear hub was fitted to ?

Thanks in advance :)

20140621_204400_zps8dc09e6a.jpg

1404158650884_zpsd32732f2.jpg

1404158647943_zpscc698c04.jpg

Nagesti (not sure spelling is correct) made the hubs for the Ossa gripper and the final 243 JCM imported into the UK by Quinns. Although the hubs in the JCM where smaller Ossa brake shoes fitted. The gripper hub has the sprocket and brake on the same side (conical) the JCM one didn't so it may be the JCM version. Only 10 of this model JCM were imported

• Like 1

Nagesti (not sure spelling is correct) made the hubs for the Ossa gripper and the final 243 JCM imported into the UK by Quinns. Although the hubs in the JCM where smaller Ossa brake shoes fitted. The gripper hub has the sprocket and brake on the same side (conical) the JCM one didn't so it may be the JCM version. Only 10 of this model JCM were imported

dont you hate it when people are a bit vague

Thanks but wasn't this last Jcm on a disc rear.

Whatever your answer the 323 might be the one...... getting one might be completely different.

Any other good suggestions gratefully received.

The Nagesti 120 must have been used on a heap load of bikes ..... but which ones !!

Nope the JCM vega Scarlett imported had a rear disc. Im talking about the bike similar to that rode by Pascal Couturier in the 86 wtc. The uk version was drum brake front and back but the wtc bike had a front disc i think.

All the previous uk JCMS had Leleu hubs, the rear was pretty big compared to say a grimeca hub but they were good brakes.

Oh and i broke the brake plate on the model im talking about at the ssdt. We also had to repair the bearing housing afterwards as the bearing spun in the hub. You'll be better off with something that looks the same....

How about early cagiva / merlin. Gerald Richardson had an ossa front wheel in his as I think they were the same

What about the JCM weekend, They were drum rear?

I have all the parts needed to convert to a disk if you need them.

I have a good complete marzcocchi 35mm front end, forks, brace, Spindle & Yokes.

I've been collecting JCM stuff for a few years now but mostly Villa engines and stuff.

Mind you this JCM will be mostly Beta and Gas Gas when I've finished!!

The early Merlin have the Nagesti 110 internal diameter rear hubs and this would mean that the new spokes I've got would be no good , so I'm holding out for original as this would be better every which way you look at it.

The JCM weekend hubs look very similar . Steve , is this Nagesti unit and is out 120 mm internally ? .

This might just be the right one )

I'm not sure on the size or make of the weekend drum.

This bike was at BVM a couple of years ago. I would have brought it but the wife was with me and saw the price so I couldn't just buy it and tell her it was cheap!. Bikes are different to handbags and shoes!! She let me take some pics of it though.

Brian Griffiths or Gollners might have some parts books and maybe shed some light on it.

• Like 1

How about early cagiva / merlin. Gerald Richardson had an ossa front wheel in his as I think they were the same

Oddly my DG3.50 has an ossa front wheel as well, I spent ages trying to work out what wheel they had used as mine need a brake plate and hub then realised it was identical to the one on my Gripper