Trials 91: The British World Round 1991

guys

I love the bikes of that era, But this video is painful, They don't need to stop and balance for so long all the way through the section, I see now why time limits for sections were later introduced. It was probably to stop the observer falling asleep.

I'm not a fan of non stop trials, but it is easier to watch.

That Aprillia was the best bike of that year, I had lots of fun on one of them.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this. Personally I'm a fan of no stop trials, it's just more interesting as the rider has to think of the section as a whole, not as a series of stop and go obstacles. Although I can see why it would be difficult for an observer, a momentary pause is quite different to stopping with a foot down- it's a hard one!

What time of year did they use to hold world rounds? In this vid the going looks pretty slippery. Only asking because it seems to have turned into a summer sport, it would be much more interesting if rounds were held earlier in the year or later when grip is poor and when they could use different types of sections to test the rider. At the moment the world rounds look like they belong indoors!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. Personally I'm a fan of no stop trials, it's just more interesting as the rider has to think of the section as a whole, not as a series of stop and go obstacles. Although I can see why it would be difficult for an observer, a momentary pause is quite different to stopping with a foot down- it's a hard one!

What time of year did they use to hold world rounds? In this vid the going looks pretty slippery. Only asking because it seems to have turned into a summer sport, it would be much more interesting if rounds were held earlier in the year or later when grip is poor and when they could use different types of sections to test the rider. At the moment the world rounds look like they belong indoors!

The world riders like to stay dry these days, The Japanese round can see bad weather.

Check out this vid of the 88 world round at Butser limeworks, Although they were allowed to stop they didn't have much choice as the brakes wouldn't stop them down those hills.

Awesome venue, we have had some trials there recently, Marking out is fun as you can not even climb the hills to put the flags in!!!

It's a good example of how better the bikes are now and how trials has evolved as the clubman experts and better Intermediate riders can ride what the world champs did back then.

• Like 2

The world riders like to stay dry these days, The Japanese round can see bad weather.

Check out this vid of the 88 world round at Butser limeworks, Although they were allowed to stop they didn't have much choice as the brakes wouldn't stop them down those hills.

Awesome venue, we have had some trials there recently, Marking out is fun as you can not even climb the hills to put the flags in!!!

It's a good example of how better the bikes are now and how trials has evolved as the clubman experts and better Intermediate riders can ride what the world champs did back then.

Thanks for posting the vid, those conditions would have been hard by anyones standard, chuck a few more rock steps in for the big boys and it would be a fun world round to watch today. The bikes have improved but the average joe hasn't, that's why it's great there are multi route trials now and beginner trials- I'm very thankful we all don't have to follow one route. That way both beginners and experts are happy (hopefully). It's become an elite sport at the top, but this isn't unique to trials.

After marking out, did you have enough energy to ride the trial? hehe :D