Oset-Preventative Fix

timdog

My sons Oset recently lost all power, the problem was traced to the relay mounted under the rear fender, there was voltage across the two small spade terminal wires entering but nothing on the main switch wires and no audible "click" when switching on.

Although this appeared well protected being shrink wrapped in plastic and housed in a velcro pouch, on removal it was found to be open to the elements where the wires entered the wrapping and I was surprised to see that the contacts for the switch were visible through a large opening in the relay body, I.e open to the elements themselves. Wd40 sprayed into the relay and it worked again. I have ordered a replacement incase it seizes again when the wd40 dries out but this time I will make sure the relay is safely enclosed and waterproof.

A quick easy mod which could prevent anyone else suffering the same, not that there's any water or mud around!

• Like 1

My sons Oset recently lost all power, the problem was traced to the relay mounted under the rear fender, there was voltage across the two small spade terminal wires entering but nothing on the main switch wires and no audible "click" when switching on.

Although this appeared well protected being shrink wrapped in plastic and housed in a velcro pouch, on removal it was found to be open to the elements where the wires entered the wrapping and I was surprised to see that the contacts for the switch were visible through a large opening in the relay body, I.e open to the elements themselves. Wd40 sprayed into the relay and it worked again. I have ordered a replacement incase it seizes again when the wd40 dries out but this time I will make sure the relay is safely enclosed and waterproof.

A quick easy mod which could prevent anyone else suffering the same, not that there's any water or mud around!

Hey,

I taped the whole electrical part in the middle so it is better protected against mud and water.

Anyway thanks for the tip!

There is a tech bulletin regarding a relay problem:

http://osetbikes.com/us/support-en-US/resources-en-US/

grtz