Mecatecno Dragonfly 325cc

gasgas249uk

I think this bike looks awesome .

Mecatecno were such a small company but somehow out of enthusiasm rather than business sense they made their own engine entirely. The piston was shared from a Bultaco 325 and the cases are all magnesium making them very light and fragile.

Unfortunately the economic crisis is Spain in the lates 80's early 90's proved too much for them. RIP

I seem to remember that Steve Jewitt and his father Colin from the North East Yorkshire area also had something to do with either selling,importing or distributing them at the time?

Who was the 'works' rider, was it Lluis Gallach ?

Edited by 2fargone

The Mecatecno's were built in Spain and originally started making kids bikes. They then progressed onto Adult machines.

Mecatecno were formed when 3 mechanics / engineers left the manufacturer Derbi and wanted to start up on their own.

Steve Jewitt was the UK importer and about 10 or so years ago he was trying to sell the company , perhaps he saw the main company going bust.

In any case i had a friend down south called Richard Pelling. He has sadly passed away , but his passion was Mecatecnos as Ossa's

He was in contact with Steve re taking over the importership just before he died.

Richard sponsored Graham Arnold , Wayne Holdsworth and Richard Allen on Mecatecno's Skywalkers.

They had big 325cc engines made in their own factory which is quite impressive for such a small factory

I have managed to get hold of a Skywalker.I've got 2 sets of wheels for it. Traditional spoked wheels and crazy 3 spoke mag wheels like my Merlin.

Its in bits at the mo , but in about 6 months it should be running and back together mint.

Here's a picture of what it should look like once finished.

Been a long time since I've seen one of those. Mate of mine had one new. He is only about 10 stones ringing wet and that thing made some serious power which, coupled with his full throttle riding technique produced some spectacular sights in sections. I remember on one section the wheels only touched the ground once between the starts and end cards with him and the bike resembling a ground to air missile.

Nice bike - will it get an outing in the aircooled mono class in the ACU Classic..??