1980s Italjet 350 four stroke ?

bobber job

I have found Two trials bikes on a small farn not far from Elgin in Scotland.

These bikes were apparently stored and used at the farm by a serving American airman at some airbase up there, in or around the time of the first gulf war.

They are in a sorry state sat in a Brick building since 1990 ish.

One is a Italjet  350 4 stroke by the looks the other a ossa guessing thats a 350 probably late 70s.

Italjet is turning over but feels stiff so i did not do too much kicking it moved that was all i did.

Farmer got in touch with the owner in 2014 he gave them to the farmer, who promptly did nothing with them for another three years.

I My question is whats the spares sittuation like for the Italjet?

Its not an engine i recognised straight away, is it there own or some honda suzuki yamaha etc. I tend to think its their own as its nothing obvious to me anyway.

No info online i could find but founds a few pictures that were enough to id it as a 350.

Im collecting them in a few weeks all being well, just trying to get some info.

Sorry no pics as yet they were in this black dungeon of a place and hard enough to get to never mind photo.

That Italjet is not very common,you are right its not Honda / Yam powered its their own.  Italjet1984_scott350.jpg

I don't think the spares situation would be very good here.Shame really,they are a nice looking bike, would have liked one myself... Someone on here will know all about them I'm sure. Good luck,it will make a good project.

As i said no pics as yet, but this one here is in frighteningly similar overall condition, one thing though, ours as no damage as such its just been parked up and left, everything looks very well maintained and not warn sprockets etc. I suppose when he left them when he went to the middle east then ultimately back to the states,, they would not have been very old 5 or six years and having two trials bikes here he must have been a keen rider.

Its same colour red and white.

A mate suggested it might be a ducati single  non desmo out of a mark 3 . i have not looked at any pics online to see if this is feasible or not,  but i do no ducati engines are in cagivas etc so its not perhaps as daft as it first sounds.

PS is not Ducatti mk3 they are left hand kickstart.

Another PS. :lol:   Old Rotax engine Apparently.

if the atached forum thread i found is to be taken seriously , these Italjets are a numb heavy thing, which i must say was my first thought throwing a leg over it. :lol:http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=32677.0

But on a pluss note im not scarred as much as i was  re finding engine parts etc if i need any now. 

its in roughly this condition excuse the pum.

99611225033123_zps2x07ds7z.jpg

Edited by bobber job

The bikes are very unique and so is the engine. The cam shaft is mounted down in the engine base and the valves are moved by rods. This is a very simple construction, but too very crucial to oil supply.

The first bikes had problems with the valve engaging levers not getting enough oil, the engines needed a certain time to build up oil pressure and to apply enough oil to the head.

I had this problem back then and needed new valve engaging levers which took Italjet half a year to deliver them back in 1983.I don't think there are any spare parts for this 4t engine available. Even donor bikes and engines are a problem.

The motor is not very suitable for trialsriding anyway, a 2strocke Italjet works much better, not being said that this is the best twinsbock trialsbike.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2017 at 9:57 AM, jon v8 said:

That Italjet is not very common,you are right its not Honda / Yam powered its their own.  Italjet1984_scott350.jpg

I don't think the spares situation would be very good here.Shame really,they are a nice looking bike, would have liked one myself... Someone on here will know all about them I'm sure. Good luck,it will make a good project.

i have one of these. . its very hard to get parts for these days. . and invariably end up making my own bits when i have to. . i am on the look out for a rear wheel tho.