Securing a bike to transport.

nubsey

I have just got a gas gas 125 for the grandson. I have also purchased a Dave Cooper tow bar bike rack, to carry the bike. Question is, what is the best way to secure the bike to the rack for transportation on the back of my car. 

I have two smallish rachet straps and one large one as used by lorry drivers to secure a load.

Cheers 

Nubsey  

Hi Nubsey,

I have a short strap permanently fixed to the upright next to the rear wheel - I use this first once I've lifted the bike on (it goes through the spokes, round wheel and upright together) - this is handy as the bike is secured while I fiddle with the rest of the straps. Then I have a short strap with a hook which passes through the right (outer) footpeg and down to the closest fixing. Lastly I have two longer straps which go from the bars down to the loops on either end of the bracket (the part bolted to the car). these compress the forks a bit. It is surprisingly stable and doesn't fall off!

Edited by markparrish
spelling

I use a short strap around the rear wheel / upright, one strap from the point on the rack nearest the back of the bike around the frame just under the seat on the outside and another from the point on the rack by the front wheel around the frame on the inside.

My bike is a 2001 Beta Rev 3.

I have some pictures but don't know how I can put them on here since photobucket is now defunct. 

• Like 1