Modern internals for Bultaco Sherpa

gasgasshetland

Anyone any experience with modern fork internals for classic bikes.  

Thinking to get the HFS fork internals as I’ve put the OZO/Betor shocks on the rear and want to improve the front end. 

Are they worth while/money or put new springs in originals. At present they bottom out easily. Running 15w fork oil as recommended to me. 

HFS internals won't change the damping as they are for spring rate only. If you're going to use them you might just want to get the clubman version which is springs only. The expert version has an air cartridge to further enhance spring rate but I tried one and the cartridge was a real pain to set up with the correct pressure. A friend has the clubman version and they work fine which is what I'd get if I was going HFS again (I sold the expert version it frustrated me that much).  There are also Magical springs which work well

You might want to look at the piston on the end of the damper rod. From a certain year these were fitted with fibre seals to help sealing and these have usually worn down letting oil past the piston which reduces damping effect. You can't buy new replacements but you can make the out of the correct thickness PTFE card. Early models didn't have the seal and are just a plain steel bush so if properly worn and damping is really poor with constant topping out there isn't much you can do other than make new ones.

15W oil is heavy but if that's what it needs to help your damping, then that's what you have to use but mine varies between 5 and 10w

Edited by woody
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1