New Member from Toronto with 1978 TY250

RD4ME

I've been fortunate to have fulfilled a long time goal having recently picked-up a really nice twin-shock TY250.  I grew up in England in the early 80's with with friends who had a TY80 and TY175. They were beautful bikes and I tried everything to convince my folks to buy one! Instead, I got to ride my Dad's Honda PC50 moped - not quite as cool - but still much better than walking. Well now I'm in the club and I'm really pleased with my new ride. It's not perfect (what is after 40 years) and it's running a bit rough - so my next post will be in the Yamaha section!     

Would be great to hear from anyone in the Toronto area who rides vintage trials. I'm thinking I might see if I can ride in a few fun events and maybe pick-up some tips from members.

IMG_3236.jpg

9 hours ago, RD4ME said:

I've been fortunate to have fulfilled a long time goal having recently picked-up a really nice twin-shock TY250.  I grew up in England in the early 80's with with friends who had a TY80 and TY175. They were beautful bikes and I tried everything to convince my folks to buy one! Instead, I got to ride my Dad's Honda PC50 moped - not quite as cool - but still much better than walking. Well now I'm in the club and I'm really pleased with my new ride. It's not perfect (what is after 40 years) and it's running a bit rough - so my next post will be in the Yamaha section!     

Would be great to hear from anyone in the Toronto area who rides vintage trials. I'm thinking I might see if I can ride in a few fun events and maybe pick-up some tips from members.

IMG_3236.jpg

Lovely bike exactly as my TY 250 E was....American spec tank decals, Yamaha couldnt sell the TY in the unit numbers they estimated mainly because it was a heavy old lump compared to the Spanish products on offer. The Magnesium covers were susceptible to corroding quickly especially if in the UK they were used for road work and our love of liberal scattering of salt in icy conditions worked its worst on the Magnesium! The frames are strongly built with decent welds...what else would you expect, but they are heavy and many frames were cut and welded to move the engine up and forward slightly to give more ground clearance. The steering head angle was also steepened to quicken up the steering and the top yokes were modified to reduce the ‘tiller effect’. Your side stand looks to have been reshaped somewhat from the original design. I wish you well with your TY.?

n