Sherco 290 radiator leak

Tom103

I have a leaky radiator! It's from where the fan cowling has rubbed through the veins. Worn a hole in 3 or 4 of them ?. Took it to my usual weld/repair guy and he says it's too close to the tank on bottom to be welded as tannins sweated into place and would ruin it. As far as I can tell this seems to be a known issue. Has anybody successfully repaired this fault and found a way to stop it from reoccurring? Don't fancy a new 1 at over £300 ?. Seen some people have used araldite, Ive got some jb weld and fancied giving it a go. Any recommendations? 

20181107_163206.jpg

First off have a look where the cooling fan cowl rubs on the rad. You may need to use some thin rubber hose slit length ways to space the cowl just away from the radiator tubes. I would have thought a competent person with soldering skills could cover seal the chaffed holes. JB Weld is good stuff but may ruin any chance of a correct repair.

You might consider taking your radiator to a professional auto radiator repair company, they may even be able to fit a new core.

Edited by section swept

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Used JB weld. Let set for over a week, mostly because I haven't had time to put back together haha. Put back together tonight. Used some hose to space fan cowl away. Started her up with cap off till fan came on. Topped up once cooled down. Put back together completely and started up again till fan came on. Haven't had chance to ride it yet but all signs are looking good so far!

On 11/21/2018 at 9:02 PM, Tom103 said:

Update. Used JB weld. Let set for over a week, mostly because I haven't had time to put back together haha. Put back together tonight. Used some hose to space fan cowl away. Started her up with cap off till fan came on. Topped up once cooled down. Put back together completely and started up again till fan came on. Haven't had chance to ride it yet but all signs are looking good so far!

?