Kickstarter sounds engaged

Kickstart bart

Hi ive had a problem with my sherpa,on the last trials the Kickstarter failed to return when kicking over,ive just replaced the return spring and put it back together,problem solved i thought,now when i start it theres a horrible ratcheting niose!!!if i force the Kickstarter foreard it seems to stop,does anyone have any ideas or come across this problem themselves? Thanks

Has your engine recently been apart ?  If the new return spring was installed and it’s still not disengaging then there is an issue with the ratchet mechanism in the transmission.  This isn’t hard to repair at all once the cases are apart.  Usually the problem you are having occurs because the ratchet on the kickshaft isn’t setup with enough spring preload to fully disengage. Barring that there could be other issues with the stopper plate as well.   It would be a bit of pain to have to open up the cases but the actual repair would very straight forward and easy 

steve 

• Like 1

Good news and bad news

I had this problem, and it was an easy fix.

I just can't think of it right now. 

Thats helpful :)

Something wasn't quite put back right, I'll have a look at the bike to see if it will jog my memory.

OK, I remember, that was quick :)

No stripping down is required.

The bolt that holds the spring in place, actually its a stud with a nut on it from the outside. Well inside the engine the stud head has to fit into a set position. Its possible to tighten this nut up from outside but inside its slightly in the wrong place, causing the kick start shaft from fully returning. Loosen the nut and turn the stud, you will know when its right because more thread is exposed. This fixed it.

Good luck and let us know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1