Sherpa 198A no spark

zazoo

Hi all, it's probably been asked a million times, but I've got no spark. Is this just a simple fix, like points reset, or am I looking at reseting timing? Also is it easier to set points with the flywheel off, or am I creating more problems? Don't want to start ordering too many parts/tools I don't need. Big thanks for any help 

21 minutes ago, zazoo said:

Hi all, it's probably been asked a million times, but I've got no spark. Is this just a simple fix, like points reset, or am I looking at reseting timing? Also is it easier to set points with the flywheel off, or am I creating more problems? Don't want to start ordering too many parts/tools I don't need. Big thanks for any help 

With flywheel on, check if points are opening. You cannot set points with flywheel off.  Bultaco points/timing is notorious for wandering. 

Other things to consider. Check and kill button / lanyard by disconnecting. Fit new plug. Check or replace plug cap. Check wiring to coil.

• Like 1

Points and the point gap is a common issue depending Sherpas.
- The point gap should be 0,4mm exactly not more not less,
- The points should be in very good condition too.

The new points made today are not as good anymore as the old ones, try to get NOS. Here especially the material of the small metal bit's pushing against each other seems to be much softer nowadays then before in my experience.

Hi, glad you sorted it out, but one question. Was the felt wick still fitted ? It needs a few drops of oil from time to time to lubricate the cam that opens the points. If it is missing, or the cam runs dry the fibre points heel will wear down very quickly, ruining them. An often overlooked item ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...