199A Clutch Plates

motovita

Due to mechanical ineptitude I have one warped inner (earless) clutch plate in my original all steel clutch pack. If I order Barnett friction discs are they thick enough that I can discard the one problem inner steel plate or do I need a replacement? 

I put it together today with 4 Barnett and 5 Bultaco steel plates. It needed very little change in the adjustment. I backed the spring adjuster nuts off 5 turns from bottomed and have a nice one finger clutch now, I won't be surprised if I have to go back in and tighten them 1/2 turn but for the short test ride they seem to be holding OK.

This has got to be the best $40.00 you can spend on a Sherpa T! The bike is transformed and can be ridden much more like a modern bike. Finding neutral is a very simple task now where before I just about had to kill the engine if i wanted to find neutral while stopped.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, motovita said:

I put it together today with 4 Barnett and 5 Bultaco steel plates. It needed very little change in the adjustment. I backed the spring adjuster nuts off 5 turns from bottomed and have a nice one finger clutch now, I won't be surprised if I have to go back in and tighten them 1/2 turn but for the short test ride they seem to be holding OK.

This has got to be the best $40.00 you can spend on a Sherpa T! The bike is transformed and can be ridden much more like a modern bike. Finding neutral is a very simple task now where before I just about had to kill the engine if i wanted to find neutral while stopped.

Edit

I decided that the 5 turns backed off on the clutch springs was pushing my luck. I was getting a little slipping when kickstarting the bike and just wasn't confident that I wouldn't get some slippage when hot so I went in to turn each spring nut in 1/2 turn. I decided to switch up the plate stack to 5 Barnett and 4 steel plates, this required substantial adjustment at the clutch but not beyond it's operating range. I'm happier to have 5 sets of "ears" driving the aluminum clutch basket than just 4. Pull at the lever is noticeably heavier but I can still one finger it.

Now I just have to deal with substantial bruising, from kicking myself for putting up with the stock clutch for all those years.

• Like 1

I agree with nigel and can add that to get close to that ideal setting while you are still in the workshop, set the clutch spring preload so that you can just get it to go over compression with the kickstart.

With 5 Barnett plates and the ideal preload setting, you may find the need to shorten the nuts to provide clearance to the casing.

• Like 1