New Sherco 300 engine rattle

Bigusdickus

Thanks for the replies, I have been back to the dealer and they also says it's normal. But to me it sounds like its about to grenade, as is it's no fun to ride. Its covered by warranty, but as rcgods says for a new 6grand bike not a great start. Unfortunately they didn't have another new one to compare with. Got to say I'm a little disappointed with my new bike.

11 hours ago, Bigusdickus said:

Thanks for the replies, I have been back to the dealer and they also says it's normal. But to me it sounds like its about to grenade, as is it's no fun to ride. Its covered by warranty, but as rcgods says for a new 6grand bike not a great start. Unfortunately they didn't have another new one to compare with. Got to say I'm a little disappointed with my new bike.

I sell trials bikes both new and used for a living, that noise is completely normal for any bike fitted with the diaphragm type of clutch (GasGas, Scorpa, Sherco, TRS, Vertigo, Ossa) Some are quieter, some louder, but to varying degree they all make that noise.

If the noise diminishes when you pull in the clutch lever, it is indeed something that all trials bikes do to a greater or lesser extent. Whilst the noise is often referred to as clutch noise, I believe that it is caused by backlash in the primary gear train, because when the clutch lever is let out, the clutch is locked up and is unlikely to be making any noise itself. I suggest that, if the primary gear train used helical rather than straight cut gears, the noise would be much less intense.