Nipples

manndolins

Ok, I have m M-27 spokes all cleaned up and zinc plated...ordered some aftermarket 8G brass nipples off ebay..from Taiwan ...thinking 8G "4mm" metric nipples should all be about the same...they arrived, look great, don't fit..sure looks like same thread and will go if forced..but I think spoke may just be cutting new threads in brass nipple..I read somewhere, on a Husky forum, that some older spoke threads are rolled, not cut, which makes them an odd size..anyone know what thread size/pitch is on these early spokes/nipples?...and where to find them?

thanks!

Edited by manndolins
sp

For anything related to Bultaco, spokes and nipples Orlando Calonder in Switzerland is the man that can help you:

He produces spokes especialy for Bultaco, he was the Butaco main Importer for Europe (mainland) and Switzerland:
https://www.orlandocalondersa.com/product-Speichen und Felgen

I have orderes spokes for my 199b from him and too custom made spokes and nipples for a pre65 bike.
He speaks German, French, Italian and Spanish,  English is not so much his language, best communcation via phone. 

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I thought that Bultaco spoke threads are 55 degrees thread angle (Whitworth) so the nipples would be too tight if your nipples are indeed metric thread (60 degrees)

I'll determine the thread form on my Bultaco spokes later on if you haven't worked out the problem by then

• Like 1

Not sure if it was the same problem, but a mate of mine rebuilt my front wheel for  me with new nipples on original spokes and he said he had to run a tap through the nipples to get them to fit properly, he made the tap by cutting a slot in an old spoke!

• Like 1

Thanks for replies! I hadn't considered the Whitworth possibility... I thought that was just a British thing..but makes sense..

I may try the tap idea..when I forced the one on it didn't seem to remove much material so I think threads would still be viable ..

going to think on it for few..