Sherc0 290 Conks Out After Half Our

gasgasssser

guess what,went out today,bike (sherco 290)conked out aftet half an hour.this is the 3rd time on the bounce this has happened,its the same every time.Also what i discoverde today is that i only get a spark at the plug if i kick the engine over hard.No way will it spark turning engine over with my hand.Its obviously an electrical problem.Please help

Had a similar thing on a Beta, the windings in the Stator were breaking down. As the engine got warmer the windings expanded until there was a break and no spark.

Let the thing cool down and it would start again. Then after a week or two of doing this, it stopped altogther.

Had it rewound by a company called Bradford Ignition Rewinds. I'm not sure if they are still in business.

Hi a question if you wash the bike do you ever take or untided the flyweelcover?

Ther is always water after after washing.

What helps is.

Drill a hole in the bottom of cover about 3 mill in 45 degree as you can see on the picture.

Than sparplug the play between contacts should be 0,5 mill

From the factory it is about 0,7-8 mill.

30/60

post-1329-1139168625.jpg

my brothers went the same way. search out intabikes on the net as there is a replacement leonelli generator which retails at either 270 or 230 quid to replace the crappy ducati system. its sounds a lot but it replaces the ignition coil too. I have the old ducati stator if you want a knackered spare for rewind? Also this particular bike has another problem hunting on tickover which i have traced to a porous carburettor casting. a new dellorto is 85 quid. dont drill the casing it will let water in!

give me a shout for more help. 07799602410 Keith

If it is the coils the best man to rewind them is steve @ bradford ignition services see add in tmx best man for the job did mine on a 03 290 a couple of years back and they have never let me down since they say that once steve has worked his magic they are better than the factory coils cost me about

• 2 weeks later...

me too! B):) Went for a practice, kicked it over it ran for about half a second before it kicked back the starter and stalled.Would not start at all after that. Checked every thing bar getting flywheel off(no tool with me)swapped plugs etc. When I pulled the flywheel cover off I noticed condensation on the inside surface. So it's possible it's shorted out somewhere. I will be stripping the bike down this week to find the fault. :P It's an 04 2.9 sherco too.

Hi all,

A pal's Sherco '03 (or was it '02 ?) went the same way. I meter'd the stator coils and it was dodgy. He got it re-wound.....no need for a new one.

Symptoms were it would run ok till it was warm then it would stop. I.e. as it heated up it went open circuit, and re-connected once it had cooled a bit.

Ian.

Did the test ride,things seemed ok,didnt conk out anyway.Still a pig to start though when hot.Any one got any idea why this could be.Somebody previously mentioned 04`s having weak spark problems.

Now that the damn thing keeps running,another problem has surfaced.The motor is very slightly splutery at low revs,can be a bit tricky `cos if you are climbing a hill,as the revs increase,the splutter goes and you get a bit of a surge of power and the front end comes up .I`ve cleaned carb out with compressed air etc,set mixture,but no improvment.

Any thougts on that would be appreciated

PS stator