BSA B40 identification HELP please

austin6728

I have just purchased what I've been told is a 1968 BSA B40 Otter Military with engine number B40 GB 1123 can anyone help with confirming the age of the bike? I'm also looking for a manual and want to make sure i purchase the correct one

Many thanks in advance

The Otter frame is one thing,made later than the engine which was originally fitted into a BSA frame. Not sure if you can date an Otter frame,has it got any numbers on it ?  The engine can be dated from the factory dispatch records, the BSA owners club can help with that.

You might find this interesting;

http://www.bsaotter.com/2020_a_new_decade.html

Edited by jon v8
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, kickstart0748 said:

Hello I see you are asking for details of the machine you have just bought if you look on the otter website you will see  picture of the bike along with what I did  to it i is on the website above under bikes for sale

cheers Hughie

Many thanks Hughie that was great to get that info and  see the pictures of the bike. Can you possibly confirm the age i was told it was a 68 and when i look up the engine number it is a little confusing to me and think it might be 67

screenshot below if for year 67 i don't seem to bee anything in 68 for B40GB

Any info would be very much appreciated

Cheers, Austin

PS I'm new to these old bikes

image.thumb.png.5ca944a78cdc440ad7149ad886bc3219.png

On 4/1/2021 at 8:11 AM, jon v8 said:

The Otter frame is one thing,made later than the engine which was originally fitted into a BSA frame. Not sure if you can date an Otter frame,has it got any numbers on it ?  The engine can be dated from the factory dispatch records, the BSA owners club can help with that.

You might find this interesting;

http://www.bsaotter.com/2020_a_new_decade.html

Thank you

i haven't seen any numbers on the frame but to be honest i haven't had a real good look and if there were they may have been painted over at some point

Cheers, Austin