Keeping a 2016 ST 300 running correctly

Nishijin

Hey guys,

Background: cyclist, always maintain my own bikes, got into motorcycles Oct ‘19, CBT and a GN125. Then trained on big bikes Feb ‘20. Typical lockdown delay to test, full license Sept ‘20 - been riding a DR350SE on green lanes since passing, and 2 1/2 months ago an XJ600N (which has had nearly 1000 road miles per month).

I’m comfortable cleaning out a carb, air/oil filters, checking and swapping oil, plugs, etc. I’ve never used/maintained a 2-stroke.

I bought a road reg’d ST300 a week ago from BVM Moto, practiced nearby some static balance and extra-slow barely above idle slalom, and of course a few wheelies. Finally after three consecutive days it stuttered into reserve fuel level. Trying to get the basics before even thinking of fun stuff.

This week I’ve been putting the horn, speedo, number plate, reflector, etc to make MOT *and* road legal. I need to drive on the road a few miles to green lanes.

My concern is how do I maintain this bike? I appreciate there must be a number of idiot guides, but I thought I’d ask in case some things are specific to this ‘16 Sherco. And moreso, because it will have a few road miles per use.

There are two loose connectors behind the number board. I assume one is for the lights that were removed. Not sure the other, and cannot see a 2016 specific parts or service manual. I was told that little has changed between mine and 2021. Is this true?

1. For peace of mind I was thinking an hour meter - will a tacho/hour one plug into the second loose connector behind the light?

2. I was told 75ml Putoline per 5L high octane. I don’t want too much dribble out the exhaust but don’t want to run dry. How accurate must I be? Measuring cylinders and pipettes? Or trust the petrol station pump plus a small syringe for oil?

3. A little extra oil in the fuel is better than a little less, right?

4. If the bike is barely seeing mud/excitement, how often are you replacing fluids? And what brands/weights?

5. What fluid are you using in the radiator? How often are you checking it?

6. I am going to ride on-road to get to green lanes to practice. Any concerns, apart from extra fuel? Anything to keep an eye on as far as running the bike?

7. On the topic of on-road, has anyone else done this, how far do they get? More than 5 miles to a tank?

8. What else am I missing from a maintenance ritual?

Thanks!

A375E6A3-6856-4646-AB51-E1344453CBB7.jpeg