TY175 Kick Starter not staying rotated in well

mcman56

The ball plunger/ spring mechanism on my TY175 kick starter is not doing a great job of keeping the kick starter rotated in out of the way when riding.  I tried a stronger spring but it is still not great.  Is there a way to improve that function?  I wonder about deepening the hole that the ball drops into when rotated in but don't know if that would help or make it worse.  The fit of the kick-start lever to the shaft it rotates on is not like new but not bad for an old bike.  I had a similar issue with a TLR200 but never came up with a good fix.    

I've got more life out of TY175 and TY250 kickstarts by fitting a screw into the lever to adjust the preload on the spring. M6 x 1.0mm screw - drill and tap job.

The problem is partly because the pivot wears which reduces the spring force on the ball. It is also because a groove forms which lets the ball climb out of the hole easier. You can fill the groove if that is an issue.

Edited by feetupfun