Witter Detachable Flange Towbar with DC Rack

Chuw

First post, we're new to trials having just bought my 9 yr old son an Oset 20r (35kg). I was going to buy the witter detachable flange tow bar along with the trusted DC bike rack. However the reviews on the detachable flanged tow bar do not fill me with any confidence. Then for my local tow bar installer refuse to fit one, it seems to be the sideways movement on the detachable that is the issue. Any advice from people with experience before i purchase one please? (That's if they ever come back in stock).

BMW 335D 2016

Edited by Chuw
DC Ra

For a load bearing task I agree with the tow bar fitter - go for a fixed flange bar.  Detachable bars are designed to take a pulling load.  The Oset is lighter than a full bike but you are probably near the nose weight limit with the Oset and the rack.

• Thanks 1

Nose weight 75kg (google), I really need a detachable due to rear sensors and the fixed doesn't look good on the msport spec. Are there other options apart from removing the fixed one every time and hanging the electrics somewhere? I did see one post on here that someone's been using the combo for many years with no issues. 

I have the Witter the flanged detachable towbar arrangement on my Skoda Octavia, the nose weight is listed as 100kg, and I've used it with trials bikes of around 70kg without problems.  When removed, you can just see the bottom of the receptacle for  the gooseneck below the bumper and the socket also swings away under the bumper. The advantage is that your bike rack socket arrangement can be left bolted to the detachable part's flange - so it's safe in the garage and you are not banging your legs when going in the boot!

Once inserted to the locking position, a wedge springs out (you can feel it click) and the knob indicates the "green~" locked position, so locking it in position until the release knob is pushed and turned. The knob when in the locked position makes it impossible to come out.  A plastic cap covers the receptacle when the detachable part is out. Problems only occur when the receptacle gets dirt or rust in it or the two curved contact surfaces at each side, so keep it clean and lubed from new, clean before fitting and it should be good.  It is quite heavy with your bike sockets on it, so practice fitting so you can feel the location click and pushing in and turning the knob for removal.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I’ve used a Witter detachable flange with a DC rack (photo below) for 4 years on my Discovery Sport and had no problems.

1FDCDDE8-BD37-478D-AB5D-0E339D35A091.thumb.jpeg.828cf40e7cc75bf00b44e6e2211c6008.jpeg

I have just changed my car and had a witter detachable tow bar fitted to my new car today. I can continue to use the detachable flange with the new car.

• Thanks 1