Hello from Elliot, Northumberland

Elliot1954

Hi, have recently found a Sprite trials bike with a Triumph 500 twin. The log book has the bike as first registered November 1967 - the frame number is 606 (I think as it is pretty faint). The Triumph engine was manufactured in May 1961. From what I've read they were produced 1965 to early seventies. Does anyone have a list of the frames made, their serial numbers and year of manufacture?

The bike is very well put together - looking at the last owner details, the bike has spent quite a bit a time over on the west coast of Scotland. If I can find the best section within the forum I'll post some photos, I've seen a few Sprites in the  pre 1965 section, which this is not. 

I haven't done any serious trailing - but enjoy the back lanes and tracks, of which we loads North Northumberland.

Hi Elliot

Sounds like you have got yourself a nice bike there but as I've found with mine it is hard to find information about them. I did message 1 of Frank hipkins son's about any information they had but they haven't got any records anymore. Mine has a Villiers engine and I was told it was a late 65 or more likely a 66. There was someone riding a triumph engine sprite in the kinlockleven 2 Day trial looked a handful

IMG_20210709_185322_0.jpg

Hi Greesrob, Does yours have any identification numbers on the front face of the headstock - that's where my 606 is stamped.  Real shame if the records have gone, the more I read about this frame and the firm - it sounded a good one, much sought after by the enthusiasts will to build their own kit.

The lad I bought this from was from Kinlochleven - has to be the one you saw.

Will try and post a couple of photos on this thread

P1030305 (Large).JPG

P1030307 (Large).JPG

Hi Greevesrob, Does yours have any identification numbers on the front face of the headstock - that's where my 606 is stamped.  Real shame if the records have gone, the more I read about this frame and the firm - it sounded a good one, much sought after by the enthusiasts will to build their own kit.

The lad I bought this from was from Kinlochleven - has to be the one you saw.

Will try and post a couple of photos on this thread

Do you have any idea of the total numbers of frames made between 1965 and the early 70's, before the firm went under?

I'm asking because the frame number on this bikes log book says 606, but on the headstock the stamped numbers are extremely faint, I'm wondering if it could be 60, or 90. The log book says 1967 for first registration - I'm thinking 606 seems a lot of frames in two years, maybe not. 

This could be the bike you saw as the frame has just recently been shot blasted and painted blue and the petrol tank is brand new - I have the invoice from the firm that did the work, showing the the paint job and tank, dated October 2021