Sherco 290 Surging

gasgasssser

Just fitted a new stator on my sherco 290 `04 beacause of conking out problems.Runs without stopping now.Still a pig to start though when hot :) .Any one got any idea why this could be.Somebody previously mentioned 04`s having weak spark problems.

Now that the damn thing keeps running,another problem has surfaced.The motor is very slightly splutery at low revs,can be a bit tricky `cos if you are climbing a hill,as the revs increase,the splutter goes and you get a bit of a surge of power and the front end comes up if your not ready for it .I`ve cleaned carb out with compressed air etc,set mixture,but no improvment.

Any thougts on that would be appreciated

Steve

give a good long hard run on full throttle or near enough ,then stop it straight away ,that will give you an idea on the state of tune as the plug will either be white /lean ,grey /spoton ,. brown black /too rich.you also could be sucking air through a leak in base barrell gasket, rare but a possibility .

What state is the air filter ?.Also when you rev it does it drop revs quickly or slowly ,slow to return to idle ,lean .also check the recommmended needle setting.

What have you done differently than the previuos owner ? that also might give a pointer.

thats easy enough to try out.My mate has the same bike.

Cheers :)

In reply to the earlier post,i will check the needle etc,filter is new.Its been like this since i bought it 4 weeks ago the bloke i bought it of says he`s never had trouble,allthough in fairness to him ,he has paid for the new stator.

Do you think the type of oil could cause this?i noticed when i took the carb off,the rubber manifold seemed to have a small puddle of oil behind the bead(the raised bit that fits in the groove on the carb).I`ve got the ratio correct(100mls in 5litres).I`ve been using silkolene pro 2 sx.

Cheers. :hyper:

It's in RPM in Sheffield having the new stator put on, could have changed it myself but I wasn't sure if it was definitely that, and I don't have any mates with Sherco's that I could swap parts around with. Hopefully have it for this weekend.

yes steve me is sure mine has been on that since new and me is not the lightest of riders so she gets full throttle on big climbs etc, never taken any harm yet. I get all my oil etc from TW Bikesport up at richmond . Also before any one wastes 270 quid on new stator from rathmells consider getting it rewound by steve at bradford ignition services because once he has done them they are better than factory new due to better materials used etc at a lot less cost about